promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

can someone help me with an Asian soup?

i really like the soups at the asian resterants ,but i would love to make some myself w/ bok choy,rice chicken broth etc. i would like feeback from someone of asain decent ,but i welcome all input.

thanking you all in advance

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Being Asian any soup I make is an Asian soup...OK just yanking your chain a bit. The real question is "What type of Asian" soup are you most interested in. There is Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Okinawan, Korean, etc... Then there are Indonisian which most people will lump into Asian, but whatever you are looking for, you should specify. All these tastes are so unique and wonderful so please don't limit yourself to any one recipe.

One of my favorites is a nice hot bowl of "Miso Soup" in which I start with a red miso paste in water and a package of dashi (this is a dried fish stock) then add what ever I have in my fridge... usually tofu, daikon (Japanese raddish,) a beaten egg, konbu (dried kelp which is usually salted so let it sit in hot water for 20 minutes or so before adding it to the soup.) Here in hawaii we eat just about everything with rice so add some to your bowl but not the whole pot of soup.

Sorry but working in the food industry for so long I rarely use recipes anymore... combine, mix and add. If you would like a little more insight on this subject just email me and I will try to help.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Chicken adobo soup with bok choy

1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce

1/3 cup rice vinegar

2 garlic cloves, sliced

1 bay leaf

1 teaspoon olive oil

1/2 yellow onion, chopped

4 cups chicken stock or broth

1 1/2 cups skinned and shredded roasted or boiled chicken breast meat

1/2 cup uncooked whole-wheat (wholemeal) couscous or 1 cup cooked brown rice

1/2 pound baby bok choy, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/2-inch wide

2 green (spring) onions, including tender green tops, thinly sliced

In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and bay leaf over medium-high heat. Heat the mixture until it just comes to a boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the yellow onion and saute until soft and lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the soy sauce mixture, chicken and couscous. Return to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the bok choy and simmer until the bok choy is tender, about 2 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.

Ladle into warmed individual bowls and garnish with the green onions. Serve immediately.

• 1 decade ago

The key is soups stews Asian and the name is:

Subgum Soup with Bok Choy

4 cup chicken stock

2/3 cup straw mushrooms rinsed, drained

1/2 lb bok choy rinsed, and

cut into bite-size pieces

6 oz chicken breast boned, skinned,

cut paper-thin slices while half-frozen

2 tbl egg white

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp cornstarch

2 tsp Chinese toasted sesame oil

6 oz shrimp shelled, deveined,

and patted dry

1 tsp dry sherry

Sliced scallion for garnish

Method :

In a soup pot bring chicken stock to a simmer. Add mushrooms and bok choy. Cook for 2 minutes.

In a bowl have ready sliced chicken, 1 tablespoon egg white, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Add to soup and immediately take pan off heat. Stirring to separate chicken pieces.

Have in a bowl shrimp, 1 tablespoon egg white, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sherry, 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Put pan back on heat, when broth begins to bubble add shrimp and remove pan from heat, stirring to separate shrimp. Ladle into a bowl and garnish with thinly sliced scallion.

This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.

Good luck!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Make wonton soup with bok choy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Throw all the ingredients in and bring it to boil. :)

• 1 decade ago

Asian Soup

Ingredients:

1 Lime

2 cups chicken broth

1 ( 14 oz.) can unsweetened coconut milk (light or regular)

4 (1/4 inch) slices ginger

2 tablespoons Fish sauce

2 teaspoons Chinese chili sauce

1 Boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized thin strips

4 Green onions, thinly sliced

Coriander,basil or mint leaves (optional)

Directions:

Remove peel from line in wide strips. Add peel, plus juice from lime, chicken broth, coconut milk, ginger, fish sauce and chili sauce to a large saucepan. Cover, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.

Strain soup into another pot, discarding any solids. Bring soup back to a simmer, then add chicken and green onions. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Garnish with coriander, basil or mint leaves if desired.

This recipe for Easy Asian Soup serves/makes 4

Chinese Hot and Sour Soup

Ingredients:

6 cups chicken stock

1/4 pound lean pork -- julienned

2 tablespoons garlic and red chile paste

2 tablespoons soy sauce

3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper

4 eggs -- beaten

5 tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 cup bamboo shoots -- julienned

1/2 cup waterchestnuts -- sliced

1 cup shiitake mushrooms -- sliced, stems remove

1 cup straw mushrooms

1 cake tofu -- 1/4-inch diced

1/4 cup white vinegar

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1/4 cup dried black fungus -- soaked for 1 hour

finely chopped scallions -- garnish

Directions:

Bring stock to a simmer. Add soy sauce, pork, mushrooms and chile paste. Simmer for 10 min. Add pepper, vinegar, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, fungus and tofu. Simmer 5 min.

Mix cornstarch with 5 tablespoons water and add. Bring back to simmer and pour the eggs in a very thin stream over the surface. Let stand for 10 sec. before stirring in the sesame oil. Serve with a garnish of chopped scallions.

NOTES : The pepper, chile paste and vinegar can be varied for taste. I also omit the pork and use less egg.

This recipe for Chinese Hot and Sour Soup serves/makes 8

Chinese Chicken Corn Soup

Ingredients:

3 cups chicken broth

1 can (8.25 oz) creamed corn

1 cup cooked diced chicken (skinned and boned)

1 tablespoon cornstarch

2 tablespoons cold water

2 egg whites

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

Directions:

Combine chicken broth, corn, and chicken pieces in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Blend cornstarch with cold water and add to soup. Continue cooking, uncovered, for 3 minutes.

Beat egg whites until foamy; stir into soup. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until foamy. Ladle soup into individual bowls and garish with parsley. Serve hot.

This recipe for Chinese Chicken Corn Soup serves/makes 6

Chinese Cucumber Soup

Ingredients:

6 cups chicken or vegetable broth

2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded chopped

2 teaspoons table salt

1 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, scored and sliced crosswise

1 teaspoon table salt

8 mushrooms, trimmed, brushed clean, thinly sliced (optional)

4 scallions, trimmed, peeled, chopped

salt and pepper, to taste

8 teaspoons sesame oil

1 tablespoon rice vinegar, or white wine vinegar

1 pinch ginger powder

Paprika

Directions:

Peel, seed and chop 2 cucumbers. Peel, seed and slice 1 cucumber. Place the chopped cucumber in a bowl and sprinkle with 2 tsp. salt. Place the sliced in another bowl and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt. Let each stand for about 1 hour. Drain well. Reserve the sliced cucumber. Place broth in a soup pot and bring to a boil. Add chopped cucumbers, mushrooms (optional), salt, and pepper. Cover the soup pot and cook gently over low-medium heat for about 15 minutes. Cool soup enough to blend. Blend soup in blender. Add extra seasonings - sesame oil, vinegar and ginger - blend well. Refrigerate soup for a few hours and serve cold with cucumber slices on top. Sprinkle with paprika. Or, reheat soup and serve it hot as the Chinese do.

This recipe for Chinese Cucumber Soup serves/makes 8

• 1 decade ago

thanks but I have already eaten

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.