My thyroid is swollen, yet my TSH, T3 and T4 are normal?

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about 5 years ago, and at my recent blood test, everything was normal. I still have symptoms, and my throat is constantly swollen to the point where I feel like I can't breathe. My doctor has set up an ultrasound appointment for me. I'm afraid it might be cancer. has anyone else gone through this, and what happened?

Favorite Answer

You can have normal blood tests and still have a problem with your thyroid. The ultrasound will tell them if you have a goiter or nodules and if they are solid or fluid filled. Usually thyroid nodules are benign. Depending on the results of the ultrasound, you might have further testing--probably a thyroid uptake and scan with radioactive iodine. That test will tell them if your thyroid gland is functioning normally or below level. I am in the process of this--all my blood tests were normal, but I have a lot of nodules. Now my internist is referring me on to an endocrinologist. But it is not cancer. Follow through on all the tests as your doctor orders.

Source(s): I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (auto immune) and have now developed nodules. Am in the process of evaulation.