promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

My thyroid is swollen, yet my TSH, T3 and T4 are normal?

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about 5 years ago, and at my recent blood test, everything was normal. I still have symptoms, and my throat is constantly swollen to the point where I feel like I can't breathe. My doctor has set up an ultrasound appointment for me. I'm afraid it might be cancer. has anyone else gone through this, and what happened?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You can have normal blood tests and still have a problem with your thyroid. The ultrasound will tell them if you have a goiter or nodules and if they are solid or fluid filled. Usually thyroid nodules are benign. Depending on the results of the ultrasound, you might have further testing--probably a thyroid uptake and scan with radioactive iodine. That test will tell them if your thyroid gland is functioning normally or below level. I am in the process of this--all my blood tests were normal, but I have a lot of nodules. Now my internist is referring me on to an endocrinologist. But it is not cancer. Follow through on all the tests as your doctor orders.

Source(s): I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (auto immune) and have now developed nodules. Am in the process of evaulation.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.