promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

what were some features of the harlem renaissance time period?

plz leave websites! i am doin a project on this. Also include what were some major achievements from the time period? And come up with a list of people that were a part of the harlem renaissance.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It was a blossoming of the arts.

The Harlem Renaissance, a flowering of literature (and to a lesser extent other arts) in New York City during the 1920s and 1930s, has long been considered by many to be the high point in African American writing. It probably had its foundation in the works of W.E. B. Du Bois, influential editor of The Crisis from 1910 to 1934; DuBois believed that an educated Black elite should lead Blacks to liberation. He further believed that his people could not achieve social equality by emulating white ideals; that equality could be achieved only by teaching Black racial pride with an emphasis on an African cultural heritage.

Although the Renaissance was not a school, nor did the writers associated with it share a common purpose, nevertheless they had a common bond: they dealt with Black life from a Black perspective.

Among the major writers who are usually viewed as part of the Harlem Renaissance are Claude McKay, Countee Cullen, Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Rudolph Fisher, James Weldon Johnson, and Jean Toomer.

While the Renaissance is often thought of as solely a literary movement, some historians of the period also include artists and musicians.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Part of the Modern Age, The Harlem Renaissance, which occurred during the 1920’s, was a time of African American artistic creativity centered in Harlem, in New York City. Various literary and artistic works were created celebrating the African-American experience. Writers of the Harlem Renaissance include Countee Cullen, Claude McKay, Jean Toomer, Langston Hughes, and Arna Bontemps.

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what were some features of the harlem renaissance time period?

plz leave websites! i am doin a project on this. Also include what were some major achievements from the time period? And come up with a list of people that were a part of the harlem renaissance.

Source(s): features harlem renaissance time period: https://biturl.im/brU5Y
  • period of outstanding literary vigour and creativity that took place in the 1920s, changing the character of literature created by black Americans, from quaint dialect works and conventional imitations of white writers to sophisticated explorations of black life and culture that revealed and stimulated a new confidence and racial pride. The movement centred in the vast black ghetto of Harlem, in New York City, where aspiring black artists, writers, and musicians gathered, sharing their experiences and providing mutual encouragement.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The music and poetry by far. Ella Fitzgerald is my favorite singer!! She sang will Chick Webb's band.

Langston Hughes was an amazing poet. There are several children's books about his life that are beautifully illustrated and full of good information and his poems, you could pick up at your local library.

This is one of my favorite time periods in history; so much wonderful music. I've done several research papers on this my self.

• 4 years ago

Was here on Yahoo Answers for something or other, but this topic was shown on the sidebar...

• 4 years ago

I was interested to know this as well

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.