Chris asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Allergies?

My husband and I just resently got a kitten. It is a Black, Domistic Short hair, male and is only about 7 weeks old. Unfourtunatlly we found out that he is very alergc to the kitten. I don't want to have to get rid of Lestat (the cat) and my husband want to keep him also (his first cat), But I will have to if I can't find away to help control the sheding. I give him baths and use this stuff called "shed-x" (which helps control the dander), and a particular cat food call "Nutro" which helps with less shedding. Does anyone have anyother suggestions?

Favorite Answer

I'm allergic to cats too. It helps if you make the bedroom a "cat-free" room because your hubby spends 1/3 of the day sleeping in there. If it is free of allergens he will not get congested at night and will feel a lot better during the day.

Are you sure that the other cat is allergic? Quite possibly the kitten has feline herpes - which looks like a cold or flu virus to humans. But if you are really that concerned, take your kids to the vet first - DO NOT get rid of the kitten!

Secondly, call around to local vets and see if any can get you a drug called ACE Promazine. We have it here and, when used in a very small dose of about a drop or two, it controls the dander in cats. Several vets here in NW Ohio are using it and have had great success with it for humans who are allergic to cats in controlling the dander. This might just be the cure for you - if you can find someone there that uses it and has knowledge of it.

In the 3 months I've given it to Cupid and Vixen, my two adult cats, I've noticed a huge difference and I've been allergic to cats since I was 21 and this is helping to get me off asthma and allergy meds slowly.

If his allergic reaction is mild, like just runny nose and sneezing and itchy eyes try going to your doctor and getting some allergy meds. Make sure he doesn't have any breathing problems. If you notice that he is wheezing or having shortness of breath you will probably have to get rid of the cat. I have mild allergies myself, but I'm able to control it with keeping my cat clean and using OTC allergy drugs when necessary.

And like the person above me said, after time you will build up an immunity and the effects won't be as bad.

He'll get used to it,eventually. Even chronic allergy sufferers can deal,eventually,with animal fur.

My husband can barely breathe in a fur covered house,but he goes out and plays with the kittens we have quite often. It's simply overpowering sometimes. Keep that in mind. Sweep at least once daily (whole house,or the areas Lestat (hehe,awesome name) is in most often).

• CF_

lol good name for a black kitten

its too late but typically lighter colored females produce less allergins...

ok NUTRO NATURAL CHOICE will help but you should brush the kitty lots too - this impoves their skin condition which cuts down on shedding - ultimately its the dander you are concerned about though - not the hair

hae your hubby talk to his doctor about allergy control

when my sister was young she wanted a dog and ended up going to get allergy shots every 2 weeks so she could have a "real" dog (not one of those non-shedding types lol) I know allergy prevention technology has improved since then so he sould talk to his doctor

its a common myth that its the dander...its actually the saliva that they clean them selfs with what people are allergic to, it is true that after a while you become "immune" to the cat you live with as your body learns to cope with it.

also taking antihistamines will relief the allergy

Thats what happened to the man in my family. But after a while he became immune to it.

Get rid of the cat before you get more attached.

• nickle

Why doesnt your husband go to the dr and get something for his allergies????????????????