What can I do to save energy?

I will be moving in to my own apartment during the first week of the year. I am 20 years old and have a five month old puppy. I play video games, watch TV and use the computer often. In an apartment, what can I do to keep my energy bill down? I have a PC as well as a laptop, but I use the PC far more frequently. Would it be better to turn the desktop off completely when I am not using it? Or just have it enter some sort of energy saving mode? Will running several game consoles be a drain on my energy? HELP!

• J.M.C
    Favorite Answer

Save energy?..............lie down and take a nap.

Yes you will be using a lot of energy.

How to save energy in the home:

Cook & make quick meals.

Turn off you lights when not in use.

Set your thermostat to 72 degrees and leave it there.

Try sealing up all the open crevices on your windows & doors.

Buy energy saving lightbulbs (a little more costly but worth it in the long run) If at minimum purchase 40 watt bulbs.

Use candles for lighting/open your blinds during the day.

Vacuum once a week not every day, if possible.

Buy a TV Guide/ or surf the TV Listings while you are on the web and read it prior to suring through the channels and wasting energy.

For your Games & Computers - Set them all on stand-by when not in use or just turn them off. Limit your self - due to your budget constraints.

Yes, I believe turning off your desktop completely would be better. Also, just try to keep the minimum amount of electronics on. Try not to run multiple games consoles, tv's, etc.. because this is a big drain on your energy. There are energy saving light bulbs and other such things available at Home Depot and Wal*Mart that could save you a lot of $. Try to shop around or ask an employee to help you find these items.

The most expensive thing is heat or A/C if you have that I would be conservative in running it. Also turn off things when you are not using them, lights, video games, etc. Things unplugged can't zap power. Also do laundry in big loads so you don't use a lot of heat. If you use gas rather than electric that helps, I would ask what the apt. coplex uses. If the stove is electric try to use it less. You can also buy light bulbs that use less energy but are still as bright as others, check a hardware store.

keep the lap top off when not in use. turn off the tv/game systems when not in use. for lighting, use hallogen bulbs. make sure the seals around your windows and doors are good. put insulators behind your switch plates that are on walls connected to the outside. use low-flow shower head and faucet head. keep your thermostat at 68.. and leave it there. all of these things should reduce your power usage byup to 30%.