mrblack asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

How much weight training?

I recently started weights but i'm confused. I split my workout upper one day lower next. I've read to pick 3 execises per muscle(chest,back,shoulders,bicep,tricep-1st day) thats 15 exercises. Then do 3+ sets each(thats 45 sets total). "do the reps slowly with 30sec-90sec rest between sets". This takes 1 1/2 plus hours roughly. Then I read to keep the work out under an hour?Should i do less to get under an hour? Lift faster? Not worry about the time?

Favorite Answer

You don't need to workout so often with so many muscle groups. You can get great results by working out one muscle group every 5 to 7 days instead of every 2 day as you are now. Pick 2 muscle groups such as chest and biceps to work on any particular day with legs and back having their own day. If you do 3-4 exercises per muscle group, and 4 sets (including warm up) per group, that is about 30 sets. At 2 minutes per set, that is about an hour workout.

I personally divide my workout into three days/groups: arms one day, chest and back the next and legs on the third. I do stomach exercises each day and run on the treadmill after every workout (17 mins the first day, 30 the next and 60 on the last day of the week). You don't have to limit yourself to just three exercises per body part. I do six exercises for the arms alone. The key is to work each muscle group. A complete arm workout is shoulders, biceps, triceps and forearms. I do five different exercises for the chest and back (two for the chest and three for the upper and lower back muscles). If you try to limit yourself to three, you may not work all the muscles involved. Forget about the time. Worry about working each muscle group. Find a website that talks about weightlifting and you'll see what the different muscle groups are. I usually do three sets of 10 repetitions for each muscle group (for instance, three sets of 10 arm curls, three sets of 10 tricep pulldowns, etc.). Don't try to go faster: the key to weight training is the right form. If you rush, you won't have the right form and it will be pointless. Just forget about the time, work each muscle group, maybe focus on just one specific part of the body each day and take your time.

Check this out for a change, I was doing the same exercise you listed and then read about this and it worked out great.

Routine:

3 days: Example (mon.wed.fri.)

1 exercise of each major muscle group - 5 sets - 8-10 reps each.

So on each day you would do the following:

Chest - 1 exercise - 5 sets

Back - 1 exercise - 5 sets

Shoulders - 1 exercise - 5 sets

Legs - 1 exercise - 5 sets

Switch your exercises each day therefore you will get your 3 exercise per muscle group a week.

In the two days between: (example - tue. thur.)

Run for about 15 - 30 minutes

Abs

Rest on the weekend.

Hopefully this will be somewhat informative.

I have been lifting for 20 years. There are so many ways of doing things. I would recommend Subscribing to "Muscle Fitness" magazine. Its important to educate your self. I learned a lot by reading the magazine.

You can get the desired result by using the cellular nutrition which is popular in 63 countries currently!!

Source(s): I am a wellness coach ever since July 2001 sparetime_success@hotmail.com

i rather be skinny LOL

i am to lazy...running 4 miles a day would do it, i am fit :)

weight i am not going to fight any big monster

Just messing w/ u :)