Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How do you know if you're acting in accordance with God's will?

Don't you suppose that some monstrous people could have been at peace with there actions, and happy on a deep level? How do you know this feeling is correct?

Favorite Answer

You don't.

Many people do many things with the conviction that what they are doing is "God's will"...from establishing orphanages and helping people to torture and extermination of an ethnic group. Psychopaths and Nazis are just as content with what they do as a preacher or a "saint".

Truth: All these people are doing what they like to do and have rationalized what they are doing as "God's will" for them.

Pray all you want. If you hear voices in your head replying, I know a number of psychologists you might want to visit.

Interesting question. I guess it's possible that some sociopath might think his or her monstrous actions are appropriate... look at the Inquisition for example. But I'd say even these people must have had some pangs of conscience. They may have created ways to rationalise what they were doing in a way that allowed them to feel ok with it, but they were surely aware that they were causing suffering.

I think "treat others as yourself," and "harm none, and do what you will," pretty much keep you on the right path. You should be willing to own your actions. If you feel ashamed of them, you know you're not doing what's right. If you can be proud of them, then you have integrity. From an existential perspective, there may not be a God (and therefore no "God's Will"), so the only real measure is how you feel about what you're doing, anyway.

(Read "The Flies" by Jean-Paul Sartre for more on this angle.)

It is easy to loose it. That is why teachers of Enlightenment tend to say there is inherent danger in trying to wake up - you could misstep and drive yourself insane.

Charles Manson didn't think anything wrong because all was God (or some such thing).

That is why...usually...there is some moral precepts or rules (safeguard in case you loose your way temporarily).

I gauge by the universal principles found in most faiths around the world - is it in accord with Love, Truth, Harmony, and Unity.

Not to mention these are all charactistics given to God usually - so this would be His will.

~ Eric Putkonen

That's pretty much between you and God. You'll know if you're being the best person you can be, and that's the best any of us can do. You don't need any preacher to tell you if you're acting in accordance with God's will. In your heart, you'll know. Just be the best person you can be.

God doesn't care who you pray to, whether or not you go to church, or whether or not you enrich some minister by giving him your money. Be the best person you can be, and if you find yourself occasionally doing less than that, don't stop trying. God knows you're not perfect. None of us are.

• Ivar

Dostoevsky, in my mind, makes a very good case that dishonesty, etc., has it's own punishment in his book The Brothers Karamazov. I also believe that John Wooden is right when he says that we can fool everyone except ourself. I believe that being true to ourself and true to God is the same thing, and that that it is our only basis for happiness and peace of mind. We can know, then, that we are acting in accordance with the will of God to the extent that we feel truly happy.

The Ten Commandments clearly state God's will. He gave them to the world to show how He wants you to act.

Just measure your actions against them and you will know whether you are acting in accordance with God's will.

Love God ABOVE ALL. Don't take His name in vain. Worship Him. etc.

You are happy on a deep level.

When I am not acting in accordance with God's will, He chastizes me and yanks me back into proper allignment with Him. Prasie the Lord!!

Does what you are doing satisfy you? Are you hurting anyone? I'm not sure how else to know for sure, but if you can confidently answer those two questions, I think you are on the right track.

to quote a sermon called soldiers preached by B.H. Clendennen in 1982 he said

"preachers today will tell you if you're having problems you're outside the will of God, but i'm here to tell you if you're not having problems you're outside the will of GOD"

Source(s): soldiers, by B.H. Clendennen -1982