Can I wash my electric blanket in the washer w/out damaging it?

Favorite Answer

Yes, you may wash your electric blanket in the washer.

However, there are a few things that you should take care with.

First, make sure that your washer will be able to handle the load. It will be extremely heavy. If you question if your washer can handle it, take it to a laundromat.

Second, use only half the amount of detergent that you would normally use. Further, do not add any fabric softeners, bleach, non-chlorine bleach or water softeners to the wash. These additives can harm the electrical wires.

Third, tumble dry on low, preferably on the air fluff/no heat setting. It will take a long time to dry, but at least your blanket will be nice and clean!

Happy New Year!

• Pamela

The buckles won't do harm. The only problem I can see you having is getting it out of the washer if it swells when it's full of water (some do) and / or stuffing it into the sentrifuge. I used to wash a lot of saddle pads and blankets in my washer at home. Then, one day, my mother (who is allergic to animals with fur) went ballistic and made me dismantle the washing machine and pick out all the hair (and there was a LOT of it !!!). After that I resorted to the washing machine in the barn :P Why don't you look into getting all the boarders together and getting a used washing machine for the barn? They really don't cost a lot, some even give them away for free on Craigslist, and then you'd have a washing machine that could take all the dirty disgusting blankets and furry saddle pads and stuff. You wouldn't have to worry about it. Especially with a washing machine that was used and cheap. =) But in answer to your question ... no, buckles won't be a problem.

• LCee

Yes just wash it according to the manufacture tag. If the tag is gone look up the web sight for them.

There should be care instructions on the blanket---but I do know do not put it in the dryer---you will melt all of the little interior wires that make it hot

Yes you can. I have washed mine plenty of times. However. I wash it in the gentle cycle and low heat in the dryer.

yes i do it all the time. I only put it in the dryer on low cool for awhile. best to lay it flat and let it dry. Make sure it is completely dry before you plug it up..it will be fine.

I wash mine a couple time a year in my own machine, doesn't hurt it at all.

NOPE, unless there is a way to remove the coils. Hand wash it.

Uh...NO. I wouldn't clean ANYTHING with electrical circuitry or wiring that way!

• Suzy

yes , cold water gentle cycle