tumama asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 decade ago

How long does it take insurance co to determine if your car is totalled and make an offer? (i have state farm)

So far it has already been 2 weeks and they havent even went to look at it :(

Favorite Answer

Well, that's the problem!! Usually it's a couple days. Usually they get out there pretty quickly, because every day it's at the "location", it is generating a STORAGE FEE.

I think it's time to call your agent, and have them shake the tree a bit.

If you don't have collision coverage - then they'll NEVER get out there, because they have no obligation to pay. So I'd call a tow company and have it moved to your house.

Source(s): agent, 20+ years

In my experience, it took about 30 minutes for State Farm to determine that my car was totaled once the appraiser started to look at it. The offer took a few days later. (it was after a catastrophe so there were many claims and adjusters out there.)

I just wrecked my car last month and I have State Farm. They didn't send out an adjustor. I went online, submitted my claim and then called them the next business day. I received a claim number and spoke with a team member assigned to my case who told me to go ahead and take it to the shop of my preference for an estimate. To make my life easier I took it to someone contracted with State Farm even though I didn't have to. The repair company looked my car over and then submitted the proper paperwork to State Farm. One week later my car was repaired, ready and paid for. No more hassel !

Call your agent IMMEDIATELY. Tell him you expect an adjuster to look at your car within 24 hours. Two weeks is ridiculous. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If someone hasn't looked at it in 24 hours, I would be calling the agent 4 or 5 times a day until he get it taken care of.

I wouldn't worry if I was you, because State Farm is top of the line next to Allstate. They normally pay you right away. I have never had to wait very long and no one I know with State Farm had to wait very long, don't worry they will get back with you as quickly as possible.

I have State Farm and they're pretty good. The adjuster will determine if your auto is totalled...usually within a week (not counting weekends or holidays).

get on the phone and call them again and again until they look at it. it should not take this long. i have state farm as well and have had a car totaled. it only took a few days. i hope you were not hurt in the accident

• blb

Call your agent or the adjuster (if you got the phone number). Sometimes claims get buried and it takes a phone call to get them "unburied". No need to be rude or angry, in fact, calling and being very nice and polite will get you everywhere. It should not take 2 weeks to find out if your car has been totalled.

State Farm is really good. I am wondering if your claim accidentally got buried. I would make some calls.

• CP

I would call them again. No reason for it to take longer than 1 week.