Am I making too big of a deal out of this?

I am going to sound really selfish right now, and I have no idea why this bothering me, but it does. For Christmas last week, everyone in my office at work (there are only 7 of us) drew names out of a hat and exchanged gifts. My boss wanted us to not spend any less than $20 so that everyone would get a decent gift and no one would get "cheaped-out" as she called it. Even though I am the youngest person there(I am 22) and a $20 gift is pretty expensive, I agreed to it. Well, I drew a lady's name (I'll call her Kathy) that I did not like... at all. She is the only person in the office that I do not get along with. Later that day, I found out that she had drawn my name as well. When I went shopping, I ended up buying something for her that cost me about $35. I thought, what the hell...it's Christmas. When Friday came around, we had our little "party" at lunchtime. Everyone exchanged gifts. But guess who did not recieve a gift. That's right.... Me. (continued below)

It's not that this woman cannot afford the gift. She wears nice clothes and drives nice cars. She is just a...pardon my language, b*tch. She just does not like me and that is the reason she did not get a gift. So while everyone opened up their presents. I got to sit there and watch. It's not that I WANTED a present, it's just the fact that I set our problems aside and bought her a decent gift and she just could not do the same. I want to confront her, but I don't want to sound selfish or "like a baby." I just want to tell her that I found it rather rude of her to do something like that.

Should I confront her or just let it go? I just want to tell her how rude she is. I could care less if I got a gift. I just don't think I should be disrespected that way.

Favorite Answer

you are obviously a better person than she is. You should bask in that and forget about the part that she didn't get you a gift. the best revenge is living well, and living graciously inspite of the people who want to bring you down to their abyssmal level.

You might want to make a comment about it to you're boss, but I think the best thing to do is just let it go. And next year when the gift exchange is brought up, refuse to partake in it and tell you're boss why.

p.s. No, your not being selfish and you have a right to be pissed, but you do have to work with this lady everyday. So keep that it mind.

• Bee

We do that in our office too. And we buy gifts, $20, that would

suit a guy/girl. Guess what, someone bought a make-up kit

and someone else bought a make-up brush set. Best part,

two guys picked those gifts. We all had a good laugh, but

I know those guys were very disappointed.

The moral is, don't exchange gifts at Christmas.

I would casually mention to a few trustworthy people that it appears that I didn't get a gift, and you wonder if it got lost or misplaced, since you wouldn't want anyone to think you weren't appreciative and didn't thank the giver. Maybe they can 'innocently' ask around and find out whats up with the lady.

If y'all didn't draw names and just bought each other gifts, and you didn't get one from her, then that would be a little selfish. But this was an arranged game, so there's no excuse. She should have gotten you a gift. That was rude.

I think it's pretty crappy you didn't get a present. Be thankful that you at 22 are more mature than "Kathy" is.

Laugh it off...shake it off...it's only a present. File that in the back of your head and remember that next time "Kathy" needs a favour at work.

Happy Holidays!!

You didn't get anything at all? I would feel pretty slighted but as adults, those are the things we have to deal with. Its unfortunate b/c next year you will want to buy something really crappy and the cycle will start for the next person.

Remember the spirit of Christmas....

• dana j

I dont think you are selfish, it's the thought that counted and she was rude and heartless. Does your boss know what she did? I would confront her and the boss.

Keep the gift you bought for yourself.

Did she know the gift you gave was from you? (the one you gave her?)

I would say to her it is ok you forgot to bring my gift! I love getting late presents. Did you like yours?

Thanks!