Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

how can i tell i'm losing weight?

i do crunches every night [100] and don't eat very much. but every time i weigh myself, i seem to either look like i've gained or stay at the same number and it's driving me crazy!

how can i tell if i lost weight?

or how can i lose weight while gaining muscle?

Favorite Answer

First of all, you need to be eating. Don't binge on foods of course, but eat a balanced diet. Special K, salads, foods low in carbs or fat. Continue you exercise routine 3-4 times a week for 40-60 mintues and be sure you're keeping you're heart rate up. It will happen for you. Just don't go anorexic!

Doing crunches and not eating alot isn't a great formula for losing weight. To lose weight your body has to work-out at around 75 % of your maximum heart rate. A good way of doing it is going to a gym and to do aerobic work-out (stationary bikes e.t.c.) even jogging, swimming, fast walks. Eating the right foods is half of the procedure, you can eat more if you eat right.

Building muscles will in the end result in an increase of your body weight. So you can do both at once, build muscles and lose weight, but if you want to lose weight, concentrate on that before lifting weights.

The best way to tell is how your clothes are fitting you. If they are getting loose, then you're probably losing weight.

If you weight train, you can gain muscle and lose weight, although muscle weighs more than fat and the scale may not move much.

Your clothes wont fit as well - muscle weighs more than fat Ive been told so you may decrease in size but not wieght if you are working out a lot. Thats how I found it to be when I lost a lot of weight once.

The best judge is how does your clothes feel/ fit. I have a favorite pair of jeans and if its loose, its a good indication of my progress.

I increase my cardio and when I weight lift, I use light weights and increase reps.

I don't weight myself cause muscle weights more than fat.

• Shanan

well, as you probably know, muscle weighs more than fat. So, while your weight is not going down your fat % is. Keep up the workout and you will eventually lose weight.

Or stop the workout and eat less calories and fat. This will decrease your weight.

Do cardio workouts, too. They can just be jumping jacks, or brisk walking. Add some other exercises to your routine.

Also, it doesn't matter HOW MUCH you eat, but WHAT you eat. Eat a healthy diet with lots of fruits and veggies. Cut out sugar totally, reduce carbs.

muscle weighs more than fat so you could be loosing fat and making muscle. So look in the mirror you should see a difference if not measure yourself in your stomach, arms, legs etc...to see if you have lost inches or not.

Don't go by the scale - go by inches. The scale can lie if you are building muscle, because it weighs more than fat.

Good Luck!

You answered your question yourself! You can tell if you've lost weight by getting on the scale!