What happens to a car with too much oil in the engine?

The other day I changed my oil myself, only I failed to remove the drain plug while draining the old oild then I added 4 qts of new oil to the old oil. Now I have too much oil in the engine. Shouls I just do a complete new oil change (filter and all) or should I just drain some of the mixed oil out to reach the proper level?

Favorite Answer

The oil will leave the car ANY WHERE it can. To much oil will float the piston and it will loose power, then if driven to long it will destroy the engine. So change the oil now before you have to replace your engine.

Don't even start the engine. Get it TOWED to the nearest shop.

If you prefer, drain it all, change filter, add right amount and then you are ok.

What damage can you expect? Are you ready for this? You can lose the engine. Yes, oil is not compressible. So when the piston goes down it exerts tremendous pressure on the oil pan, the gaskets can blow out, the piston rod can bend (engine will stop running if it does), blow out the piston rings, and it will continue to burn oil even after you bring the level down.

Oil will foam inside the engine crank case like crazy. It come out of the dipstick hole and it can fall on the hot engine. It will smoke a lot. If the spill is too much, it can actually catch fire.

Dont even think of starting the engine with oil this high. You can do a lot of bad to your car in no time.

Drain it all out. Never mix new oil to old black dirty oil. Change the oild filter too. Dont run your car with 4 quarts of extra oil, this will blow seals and make gaskets leak... plus your ebgine will burn the oil and clog up the spark plugs.

The oil will exit the car via the exhaust system. This can and will damage the Cat. converter. Meaning if you don't drain it out and do it again, you are going to be stuck with a whole lot of problems.

• gove

synthetic oil isn't oil interior the same experience as oil is. that is synthetic, while accepted oil isn't. And it has larger tolerances, with decrease viscosity, it ought to get into places accepted oil won't be able to, and it ought to lubricate more beneficial for longer classes of time. besides the indisputable fact that, is should be used basically on new autos, or with autos with low mileage, because it ought to leak previous valve courses and different places accepted oil won't be able to. I positioned some synthetic in my previous truck, wondering it may help develop mileage, with a lot less friction and all. yet my truck basically did not favor to run good, it began jerking and stalling and lacking. i concept I had blown a head gasket or some thing. I drained out the unreal and altered the accepted oil, and the truck replaced into decrease back to prevalent. the unreal replaced into basically to fantastic, it leaked into my engine, onto the pistons and led to it to misfire and all. i'd keep on with synthetic, if you're utilizing it now. Why save going decrease to and fro, what's the purpose? synthetic oil may fee somewhat extra, besides the indisputable fact that that is likewise probably more beneficial for autos of as we talk, with severe rpm engines, operating for thousands of miles. do not take possibilities with your engine, it may fail you once you want it maximum.

the seals get stretched and when the appropriate amount of oil is in there, it will leak... it's not good.. you need to change your oil again asap.

Dain all the oil then use new oil new filter

i would drain it! i did that too and started the car and blew the head gasket cost me like 1-2k to it machine shoped!