Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 decade ago

Yahoo Answers censoring political views?

I posted this response yesterday and received a violation notice? Anyone have any reason why? The question was simple and I think my opinion clearly stated the answer. I am PO'd!

_____________________________________________________

Question: do u even like george bush?

Question Details: He is a horrible President!

Source(s):

FACT and his lies to the Country!

Deleted Answer: He is a horrible President!

Reason of Violation:Not a Question or Answer

Do we lose points when we get a violation notice?

I sent an e-mail to the violation team and I went back and reported everyone who favored Bush as that should be a violation as well. Right?

Favorite Answer

There is clearly a relationship between being reported and being deleted, but I'm not sure it is one-to-one. Perhaps if several people report you, it is automatic. However, whenever you get an answer (or a question) deleted and you feel it is unjust, you should send an email to Customer Care and tell them about it.

The reason here seems to have been that you merely quoted a portion of the answer, rather than saying anything in your own words. Still, it is otherwise a valid answer to the question, so I would not have reported it.

The problem is the reporting and deleting of abuse has to be automated to some extent, because it would take way too much staff to have it all reviewed by live people. Various suggestions have been made on how to refine this so people are not deleted just for disagreeing with someone else.

We heard about quite a few (and added our own) at the Birthday Party in Sunnyvale. We were told then that some new programming was in the works to make specific improvements. More recently there was an Answers Team blog basically saying "We've made some improvements, but we can't tell you what they are for security reasons." In other words, if the trolls knew, they'd find a way to thwart them.

Anyway, when someone disagrees, that may be a good place for the thumbs down or not; people debate that. But there is no excuse for reporting abuse when a person disagrees with you, unless they do it by being rude and insulting. Let's see if we can play fair here, guys!

I think they are, and it seems like a problem with the reporting system. Who do you think is more likely to report-- the Republicans or the Dems? Think about all the signs at the train stations (at least around here) saying that if you see suspicious people you should report them.

I think not enough people are complaining about it so I'm not sure it's Yahoo Answers' primary worry though. I don't think it's necessarily THEY who are censoring the views, but they've created a system that favors certain people, or allows them to control it.

• Carp

I had a really bogus violation too.

Yahoo opened a can of worms with answers.

I don't see how you violated anything. YOu answered, how can it not be an answer?

Of course they are gonna censor certain things but when they over do it, people will leave and the commuity will die off. I think it will get so ridden with spam, garbage, etc that it will become an administrative nightmare and they will terminate Answers altogether.

Some people don;t want to hear an answer like that. Well, tough on them.

Fight the violation

y_answrs_team@yahoo.com

This has happened to me a few times. Don't make sense to me so I just ignore them. I sometimes wonder if they read this stuff.

I think they delete anything that has been reported, those wusses probably dont speak english