I'm looking for books on Nursing to jet a jump start on classes, any ideas?

I'm thinking of going back to school to become a nurse. (RN or NP) I have a basic understanding of what I'll need to learn. (biology, anatomy, physiology, basic pharmacology and nursing procedures to name a few) What I am looking for are a few good books I can start reading before I start my classes to get a head start. I figure I read and learn as much of Gray's Anatomy as I can, so that will cover the anatomy, and I am sure I can find a good Biology book, but what I really want is a book (or two or three) that I can read and digest that will give me a good over all understanding of nursing. Any ideas? Thank you.

Favorite Answer

A good foundation in anatomy/phisiology is a must. I understand that most pre-reque's to nursing classes include: anatomy/phisiology, chemistry, microbiology, sociology, psychology.

A couple good books on nursing (as far as straight nursing text books) are Fundamentals of Nursing (Potter & Perry); a good NCLEX style book with a review; anything for medical-surgical nursing (such as the incredibly easy series).

You can try ebay, amazon, or half for good fundamental nursing books.

• Pamela

It's really sad when "professionals" come across as too busy to care about someone else's work or altogether trash the writing and the writer's confidence. There will be people like that along the way. Ignore them. Write the best you can and pursue those so-called "crazy" dreams. Everyone has "crazy" dreams at some point. Some of those people actually pursue them no matter what anyone says. Case in point, I recently saw the play "Les Mis" (am I like the only person who hadn't seen it before? Haha.), and afterward I read on wikipedia that everyone trashed Victor Hugo's book. Unbelievable! Whether the plot was accurate for the time or he was a sympathizer of the revolutionaries, there are some very good concepts about humanity in the play. My point is that no matter what anyone says about you or your writings, stay confident and focused. Any changes you make, make them because you chose to change or improve something based on how you believe your plots should be. A little off topic, but bear with me. In the Bible, Paul tells Timothy "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity" (1 Timothy 4:12). My point: don't let anyone despise you or your writings because of your age. It's possible to have a "screw you" attitude without being conceited. I have no interest in writing about vampires--ever--and would never steal someone's work. That's just plain wrong, and I'd hate it if someone did that to me. I'm good at the mechanics of English. If you'd like costructive criticism/advice about your story I'm willing to help.

The library is always a great place to start. I'm thinking of heading over there to see if I could handle majoring in earth science/geology. Good luck!

I would look on Amazon.com and look at all of the text books on nursing and buy the one with the best customer ratings.

Source(s): www.amazon.com