promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
holly m asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

mice poison?

my cat is about 4yrs and he keeps getting really sick after he eats mice my question is can how long till he dies after eating poisined mice?

Update:

i did nt put down any poision but he is an indoor /outdoor cat

Update 2:

i did nt put down any poision but he is an indoor /outdoor cat

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Gary D
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Rat/mouse poison contains anti-coagulants. It causes the rat/mouse to die by internal bleeding. If you have placed rat poison around your house and the cats are eating the dead rats/mice, then your cats will meet the same fate. It's a horrible and painful death. d:(

    If this is the case, take your cat to the vet immediately. He can give the cat an antidote to help it. I would also recommend using traps instead of baits to kill mice and rats.

    Source(s): I used to be the CEO of a zoo.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    I have many animals and was worried about putting down D- Con for fear it would hurt the animals. If you call the 800 number on the box they will put you in contact with the vet there. They certainly put my mind at ease and I have been using it around the barn in the fall for years now with nothing bad happening. Apparantly the drug(most use warfarin) does not last long after being ingested by the rodent. It quickly loses it's effect. Also they said the amount ingested by the mouse would not harm a cat or dog.I did however lose 2 peacocks once after a landlord put down bar bait and found a dead mouse in the peacocks stomach so it may not work that way for birds. I did not ask about birds when I called because I was no longer raising them.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • ridder
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    immediately canines and little ones, cats frequently are to sensible. Now different animals can get a dose of the poison through eating the diseased mouse/rat and nicely of route this may convey mutually and endanger particular species. Like Owls and would reason some problems for foxes and the likes. you're what you eat and how larger interior the foodstuff chain how more desirable targeted the poison.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    that depends on the amount of decon the mouse ate - on the other hand, it couldn't have been much unless your cat likes dead mice. Not usually the case. A mouse that eats decon does not eat much of it and usually just takes it back to the nest.

    If he eats decon mice on a regular basis he will eventually die. Don't let him out anymore or have him put down. Don't let him poison himself to death. The time it takes varies on how much poison he is taking in and how often. It's possible to die after one mouse or he could eat a hundred first.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tigger
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Do you really want to find out? Take the cat to the vet and stop using poison, since you know the cat is eating them!

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • kitty
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Two ideas

    Dont let your cat eat mice

    Take your cat to the vet.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Dont let him eat mice, simple as. Keep him inside.

    Oh and set mice traps around your house. That might help.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    usually he wont die he will just get sick and throw up. mice die from the poison because they are unable to throw up. kill the mice with carbonated water. It makes them bloat up and die, or use a mouse trap with peanut butter.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    A few hours

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.