Seeker
Seeker asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Can envy have any expiating characteristics?

• bfrank
    Favorite Answer

I have to admit that when I try to list the seven deadly sins, I can never remember to include envy.

OK, it can be deadly. Granted.

But it can also (almost) be a virtue.

E. g., I envy you your ability to ask good questions and provoke interesting responses. I envy your candor and good will.

Such envy is really a synonym for admiration. Hence, choosing whom to envy and why is one way to build good character. As in my first example, the focus of envy is a quality or achievement or condition that one admires but is not likely to attain. As in the second example, the focus of envy is a quality, achievement, or condition that one shares but would like to raise to a higher level as perceived in another person.

Maybe not expiating characteristics of envy if one despises the envied person or wishes him/her misfortune. But there is envy and then there is envy. (Rest assured, I envy you but wish you well.)

And, by the way, I suspect the same might be true for lust, wrath, and pride. I make no apologies for those things that make me feel lustful, angry, and proud (well, most of those things . . . well, some of those things). Actually, I'm kinda proud of my envy.

Now if I could just find expiation for gluttony, greed, and sloth . . . . I might just slip right by the pearly gates.

Have a happy, enviable 2007!

B Frank (alias mank)

Perhaps just the overcoming of envy.

No. Envy is a very toxic emotion.

i doubt it. but then circumstance dictates all. tell me the story!

I guess it would depend on your perspective.