How do I open a car with frozen door locks?

I have already tried heating the key with a lighter and that didn't work.

Favorite Answer

Try using WD40, as it will displace the moisture and coat the parts to keep it from future freezing. They also make door-lock antifreeze sold at your local auto parts store. Just remember not to keep it in the car. LOL

Source(s): 40 Years Auto Mechanic

To "prevent" the locks from icing, this is a suggestion people have had success with: "Place a refrigerator magnet over the outside door locks of your car overnight."

Frozen door locks tips:

1) Use a hand-held blow dryer. You will need to run extension cords to the car to accomplish this.

2) Once car is up and running, go to your local auto shop (Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Sears, etc.) and buy a can of "Lock Deicer."

3) AAA Auto Club says to "fill a container with lukewarm water and pour it on the lock. Do not use the key to pick at the ice as it will damage the key and the car's finish. Do not pour hot water on windows as it may cause them to crack."

de icer is a great way!

they sell in dollar stors this fake key that heats up and will help too! for a buck you can't go wrong and it does work but warning it's from the dollar store they sometimes don't work or stop heating something always goes wrong!

the towel thing is a good idea!

so is a blow dryer if you have a long enought extention cord@

if you want to try a paper clip being held by pliers or somet other tool then the lighter and shove the paper clip in there too that's another getto way of doing it!

may have to repeat a few times!

Wait till the weather warms above 32 degrees.

We at work use a pocket size tiny butane torch to unfreeze truck doors locks once in a while. A second or so is all it takes. You don't want to damage your lock or paint or even worse, a fire.

Don't try unless you KNOW what you are doing. Others may find this idea helpful if you have a little tiny torch. I WOULDN'T make a habit out of it though. Lubricate locks as others have already suggested as well.

I had this problem alot w/ my 98 Sunfire. Lock icer works pretty well, but its also a very temporary solution...1 night at 1:00 AM, I had to walk about 45 minutes in furious winds and 18º weather to get a canister, used the whole thing and it didn't release...I wound up having to call a tow truck to come out w/ lock out service.

How about an easier way?

Take a towl, put it in the microwave for 30 seconds or put it through the dryer for a few minutes, go outside, and lay it on the lock. It shouldn't take long to thaw it enough to get in there with a key.

Go to your local walgreens and a deicer. its in an aerosol can and has a straw that you can stick into the lock so that the spray will reach the frozen components (I hope the store is within walking distance if the frozen lock is on your car :)

Any auto parts store sells "lock de-icer". It comes in a tube the size of a magic marker and is pressurized (as in an aerosol spray). Press the tip and the de-icer sprays into the lock. I've used it and it works great.

• Bee

Lock-deicer is good if you can get to the store to buy it.

Try a hair dryer - extension cord, plug the hair dryer in

and blow the warn air on the lock. Open door, drive to the

nearest gas station and get the Lock-deicer.

Get some lock de-icer. You just stick it into the lock and it will "defrost" in a way your lock so you can open it up. It may take a bit but it does work.