Can you get Athlete's foot for wearing your own sneakers/shoes without socks?

I hate wearing socks, and have been wearing my sneakers, and deck shoes without socks for at least 20 years, and a friend told me that I could get Athlete's foot, and I never had it. I told her that I been doing it for many years and never had it. How can I get Athlete's foot if I wear my own sneakers without socks? Nobody else wears my shoes, and my feet are in very good shape, and I can't understand how I can get Athlete's foot for wearing my own sneakers without socks. If so, what could cause it?

Favorite Answer

If you've not had a problem thus far, don't be too concerned.

Be aware, however, that many types of pathogens live on the surface of your skin. As long as your immune system is healthy, they rarely cause a problem. If environmental conditions are right and trauma occurs to the skin, any number of diseases could attack.

Keep your feet dry and free from cuts and cracks and you should continue to enjoy going sockless.

• .

"Athlete's foot (tinea pedis) is a common persistent infection of the foot caused by a microscopic fungus that lives on dead tissue of the hair, toenails, and outer skin layers (dermatophyte). These fungi thrive in warm, moist environments such as shoes, stockings, and the floors of public showers, locker rooms, and swimming pools.

Athlete's foot is transmitted through contact with a cut or abrasion on the bottom (plantar surface) of the foot. In rare cases, the fungus is transmitted from infected animals to humans.

Dermatophyte (skin) infections cause raised, circular pimples or blisters that resemble the lesions caused by ringworm. The infections are named for the part of the body they infect; therefore, tinea pedis refers to an infection of the feet."

Do a search for athelete's foot, as I did, and you can find more info on causes. I copied the info above from one site I ran across.

If it's never bothered you and you've been going sockless for years, I wouldn't worry much about it, but be aware of what it is, how it's caused, and the symptoms so if you do contract it you can deal with it quickly.

• usually Athletes Foot starts out as a fungus. If your feet are constantly wet and damp it might be the breeding ground for the infection. If you use a foot powder such as Dr Scholes to keep the feet dry within the sneaker it might be of assistance in that area.

occationally air out your feet if they feel hot and moist. the infection starts in wet damp moist areas.

Sometimes socks are good for your feet.

Sweaty feet all the time is not really good for you

Good luck

yes, athletes foot is caused by a fungas that feeds on dead decayed skin and needs moisture to expand. When you go without socks moisture can build creating an environment that alllows the fungas to spread and makes your sneakers really stinky. Fungas grows best in moisture. Your feet naturrally have a small amounts of fungas to begin with. When the moisture provides an enviroment condusive to cell growth of the fungas.

It is possible. Athlete's foot or tinea pedis is a fungal infection of the skin of the foot, usually between the toes, caused by parasitic fungi.

Growth of the athlete's foot fungus is promoted by a dark, warm, moist environment such as that found inside shoes. The fungi persist for a long time in the environment, facilitating transmission of the disease in communal areas such as locker rooms and showers.

Typically if you keep your feet clean and dry, the chances of fungal growth diminish.

No, you can only gt it from surfaces (gym showers, other floors and surfaces) that you come in contact with your bare feet. So if you are walking around without your shoes on (even wearing socks) you can get it from someone else who has the fungus. Here is more info on the fungus:

http://www.aad.org/public/Publications/pamphlets/A...

Yes, you can. You're socks act like a sponge, they soak up sweat and keep your feet from rubbing up against your shoes and cause blisters. When you don't wear socks, the sweat from your feet rub against your shoes and cuase atheltes foot.

perspiration. sneakers like vans and converse make your feet sweat powder or lube them up. by good cotton socks.

• Pamela

Probably sometime back in childhood... Or last year when I went swimming and my socks got wet.

yep. Socks are there to absorb sweat.