Law School?

Do you think it really matters where you go to law school. I'm thinking about going to applying when I finish undergrad, but I can't really afford the tuition at most of these "highly ranked" schools. I live in North Carolina and a law school that would be more in my range in tuition would be North Carolina Central University. It's not really recognized on any best law school lists so I would be worried about my job outlook after finishing there. Any input from any current law students or future law students would be great. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Having graduated from law school a few years ago, I think it's most important that you go to school in the state in which you plan to practice. You may get to know local attorneys through your school's career services department or clinical practicums, and that will help you in your job search down the road.

If you want to go to work for one of the huge international firms, you'll probably want to go to the highest-ranked school to which you're accepted (and you'll need to excel there, regardless). But if you want to practice in NC, choose a good state school, get good grades, and get involved in Law Review or the Moot Court/Mock Trial teams. In my opinion, it's more about how and what you do in law school than where you go.

It really depends on what kind of law you want to practice. If you want to be just your run of the mill, family lawyer, public defender, or tax attorney, then any old law school will do. If you want a big job in a New York City law firm that handles high profile cases then Harvard or Yale are where you want to go. Not that they will teach you any better, it just looks good on the resume.

i think you would be fine going there... theres tons of talk about nationally ranked schools, but it comes down to each individual and what they are capable of. while in school pursue competitive internships with local law firms and that is what truly helps you find a job after graduation. its important to be able to get a good recommendation from your internship supervisor and if they aren't able to give you a job then they can recommended you to other firms. good luck!

There is some useful advice here.

yes