Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

What should I do about hard brown sugar?

My bag of brown sugar gets hard after a little while. What should I do to prevent this from happening? Does anyone know why this happens only to brown sugar and NOT to white sugar?

Favorite Answer

Here's a trick I learned when I worked in a bakery: It has something to do with the moisture content of the brown sugar... Put the brown sugar in an airtight container (tupperware, plastic bag, or whatever) and stick a piece of bread in with it. I don't think it matters if it is white or wheat. That will soften it up in a day or two. Good luck.

If is becomes hard, soften it by placing a slice of apple in a plastic bag along with the brown sugar for a few days. You can also sprinkle a few drops of water on it and seal in plastic bag for a few days.

Brown sugar is a refined sugar that varies in color from light to dark brown and has a full-bodied flavor and soft moist texture. In the past brown sugar was semi-refined white sugar where some of the natural molasses was left in. Now brown sugar is made by adding molasses back into refined white sugar. The color will depend on the amount of molasses added during processing of the sugar. The darker the color the stronger the taste so use the one you like the best. The same weight of brown and white sugars has the same sweetness. Because white sugar is denser than brown sugar, to get equal sweetness firmly pack the brown sugar so when inverted the cup of brown sugar will hold its shape. Substituting brown sugar for white sugar in a recipe will produce a baked good that is a little moister with a slight butterscotch flavor.

It gets hard because it has more moisture in it and is less processed than other sugars. If you keep it in an airtight bag and store it in a brown paper bag, it will be less likely to get hardened. Or, as I do, I only buy what I need because I don't use it often enough to need it on hand.

Warm it slowly in the microwave a few seconds at a time, and it will soften right up.

Open it and put it in the microwave with a cup of water next to it. Nuke it for 3 minutes.

Stir and think to yourself "Bill is awesome."

BTW, you really need to keep it away from air. An airtight container in a cool spot or in the fridge is ideal.

Brown sugar hardens when the moisture in the sugar evaporates. This is why my cure works.

I don't know why this happens, but if you put a slice of apple in the bag it will help the sugar to loosen up.

apples

put a wedge of apple into the bag

it works

Nuke it about 10 seconds.

just buy a new bag, much easier