Any info about Greensboro, NC?

I am thinking of moving to Greensboro, NC to obtain a teaching job. Can anyone tell me about the good and bad areas of the city? I would also like to know about the school system? Any information would be helpful. Are there any other cities in the area that are nice and are looking to hire teachers? Thanks so much for helping me out!

I am thinking of moving to Greensboro, NC to obtain an elementary teaching job. Can anyone tell me about the good and bad areas of the city? I would also like to know about the school system? Any information would be helpful. Are there any other cities in the area that are nice and are looking to hire teachers? Thanks so much for helping me out!

Favorite Answer

Greensboro, North Carolina is the largest city in and county seat of Guilford County in the U.S. state of North Carolina. It is the largest city in the Piedmont Triad region.

As of the 2000 census, the city population was 223,891, making it the third most populous city in North Carolina. Its estimated 2006 population is 240,955.

It is located at the intersection of two major interstate highways (I-85 and I-40) in the Piedmont ("foot of the mountains") region in central North Carolina.

In 1808, Greensborough (as it was spelled before 1895) was planned around a central courthouse square to replace Guilford Court House as the county seat. This act moved the county courts closer to the geographical center of the county, a location more easily reached by a greater number of the county's citizens.

In 2004, the previous Greensboro - Winston-Salem - High Point metropolitan statistical area (MSA) was broken up by the U.S. Census Bureau, resulting in the formation of the Greensboro-High Point MSA and the Winston-Salem MSA. The 2004 Greensboro-High Point MSA estimate was 667,542. The Greensboro - Winston-Salem - High Point combined statistical area, popularly referred to as the Piedmont Triad, had an estimated population of 1,490,886 in 2005. Source: US Bureau of the Census, Released April 2006

The town is home to several universities and colleges. The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG), North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University (NCA&T), Guilford College, Bennett College, and Greensboro College all call Greensboro home. In addition, the state community college system has several campuses for Guilford Technical Community College. In August of 2006, the Elon University School of Law opened a campus in downtown Greensboro.

The city is the home of the Greensboro Grasshoppers baseball club of the South Atlantic League and the Carolina Dynamo of the USL Premier Development League. The Chrysler Classic of Greensboro, one of the oldest national PGA Tour golf events, is held in Greensboro every fall at Forest Oaks Country Club.

For more info go to wikipedia.org

I live in Greensboro and love it! The best areas to live in are Northwest Greensboro and just north of downtown (Fisher Park, etc). If you're on a budget, it'll be easier to find decent rentals in NW. I used to live in Park Forest apartments there. Downtown is getting trendy and more expensive. I'd stay away from the areas closest to Randleman Road and Cone Blvd--they can be rough to live in, as can the area around Four Seasons Town Center. If you like hanging out with collegiate types, Lindley Park near UNCG is nice.

My roommate works for Guilford County Schools. If you're going for a high school job, try to sneak into Grimsley. It's by far the most respected HS. Northwest High is also excellent. Dudley is generally regarded as the worst. I don't know much about the elementary and middle schools. Unfortunately the county superintendent is kind of a pill, but you shouldn't have to deal with him too much directly.

Also look into Alamance County, just east of here. Burlington is the largest city there, and I know people who work in their system and are happy as well. Alamance is growing fast and is a nice place to live.

I hope that helps!

UPDATE: Jefferson Elementary is a beautiful school in a great neighborhood--and they have an opening! Other good ones are Nathaniel Greene, Irving Park, and Claxton.

Source(s): Greensboro resident for seven years, with contacts in the school system.

i can tell you nc is one of the lowest paying states when it comes to jobs good luck