Can olive oil go bad?

I live in an old house and the kitchen gets very cold at night. We noticed that the olive oil has a sort of a milky appearance to it, though it does not smell bad. Could it be that it is just too cold were we are storing it? Could we still use it? Also, the oil is not old. About three weeks old.

Favorite Answer

I deal with a company that grows, produces and sells olive oil and yes it can go bad. If memory serves me correctly it has about a 3 or 4 month or so shelf life. I could be wrong on the time frame because olive oil doesn't last long in my house. However, with yours being only 3 weeks old I would have to say that it is probably due to it being cold and it has not gone bad.

• Wendy

Olive oil has a lower smoke point than canola but is a much better tasting oil. Use canola for high heat cooking and/or when you don't want the flavor of olive oil in your dish. Use olive oil for any Italian, middle eastern, or Mediterranean dishes at a minimum

Yes, any oil can go rancid after a time. However, what you describe sounds like the oil is just separating due to the cold. If it smells okay, then just shake it up before using it, because it should be fine.

Source(s): Was a chief and a baker for twenty years.

Olive oil supposedly has a lifespan of about 18 months, but I think you can probably keep it a bit longer than that. When it is cold, it does get a bit cloudy but should turn back to clear when it is warmer. The cloudiness doesn't necessarily mean it is bad.

When you buy a bottle of it, make sure it has a date on it.

Yes. Olive oil does turn rancid. In fact, it is most advisable to purchase it in small quantities or containers, and use within a short time, once the container is opened.

Source(s): Julia Child

I use olive oil and if not used in 10 days it say's to referigate..But if your house is older and kind of cool.. It would make it look funny like it had been in a referigator.. I asume that it is just like vegatable oil ..And when it is cool it look milky like after being in referagtor..Mine does..Hope this helps.

Yes

its coagulated because its getting cold. oil will do that sometimes. not sure if olive oil goes bad -- never had any around that long. it should be ok.

its just getting too cold. should be just fine to use.

Popeye wouldn't let that happen.

No; long as it stays closed..