In the NFL, if the defense continues to go offsides at the goal line, can the offense be awarded a touchdown?

Usually the penalty is half the distance to the goal line. But I heard that if the defense continues to be offsides, the offense can be awarded a touchdown.

According to NFL rules, the referee can award a touchdown to the offense for a palpable foul by the defense. I think this may fall into this category and I heard it was true about the defensive offsides.

• Mike H
    Favorite Answer

The offense will be awarded a touchdown if they run a play and score when the defense jumps offsides. Then they can decline the penalty and keep the score. If no play is run, a touchdown cannot be awarded.

Defensive offsides does not stop the play if the quarterback takes the snap. The offense is allowed to continue the play, and when that is over they get to choose to either accept the play or take the penalty.

However, an offensive lineman jumping before the snap will usually cause the refs to stop the play from continuing and march the offensive team backward 5 yards.

I believe the rules for the defensive penalty were put in to prevent what you are asking, where the defense could delay by continuously jumping off at their goal line.

Worst that could happen would be unsportsmanlike conduct or delay of game against the defense to be issued on the kickoff for repeatedly doing that before the snap. I have never seen that happen.

I have never heard of a rule that stats continuously jumping offsides after on the Goal line....it would be like saying a Pass Interference call in the End zone should result in a touchdown...Now a First down might be awarded but I'm not sure.

No touchdown, would keep ensuing half the distance to the goal, penalties on the extra point, and ejections for delay of game, but if offense is able to get play off, they will be able to be awarded the touchdown despite the foul on the play by deferring the penalty

• Adam

Yea if it was the same player more than once maybe twice, he'd prolly get some kinda of unsportsmanlike or delay of game or something, plus if the coach didnt take him out after the second time the coach would lose at least my respect if not alot of other peoples. But no i have a very hard time beleiving they can just be awarded a touchdown, altho if it was true that would be kinda cool

No, TD's are not possible under any penalty circumstances. They can get close as possible to the goal-line, but no TD's allowed for offsides on the D

No. However players would probably be ejected and penalties on the ensuing kick off would occour. Any Head Coach who alllowed this to take place would also lose all respect from his fellow coaches and would find it hard to another job coaching in the NFL.

yeah. That's never happened bcuz if the defense kept on being offside, then the coach would kil them......

no, i mean pretty soon the offensive tema will be on the 1-inch line, but it still wouldn't be a TD

no but the ref might do something else......its all up to the refs

no