Can a slowcooked meatsauce for pasta be cooked in a crockpot?

I consider myself a pretty good cook but have never attempted made from scratch, slow cooked pasta sauce in a crockpot. I just got a new crockpot for X-mas and am wondering if anyone has ever made this type of long/slow cooked pasta sauce in a crockpot. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Favorite Answer

Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs

Serves 8

3 (23-ounce) cans good-quality tomato sauce

1 (5.5-ounce) cans tomato paste

1 onion, finely chopped

1 green pepper, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

2 tablespoons Italian seasoning

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 pound ground beef

1/3 pound ground veal

1/3 pound ground pork

1 egg

1/4 cup Italian-style bread crumbs

1/4 cup fresh-grated Parmesan cheese

Combine the tomato sauce, tomato paste, onion, pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper and salt in the slow cooker.

In a large bowl, combine the beef, veal, pork, egg, bread crumbs and Parmesan; form into balls.

Transfer the meatballs to the slow cooker.

Cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.

Yes, but brown your meat first!

And depending on how long you want to cook the sauce, you might want to soften the onions beforehand also.

I always make my pasta sauces in the crockpot and cook them on the lowest setting for at least 4 hours.

I brown the hamburger and onions, and green peppers separately, and then add them to the simmering sauce. (You can add the cooked meat at anytime)

And don't forget to add tomato paste so the sauce thickens!

Another thing that I like to do since it's healthier, is when I make meatballs, I bake them in the oven, instead of frying them in oil.

I usually bake the meatballs an hour to an hour and half, depending on the size and if I've used ground pork, then I add them to the crockpot sauce.

Crockpots are fun and easy!

Enjoy!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• Nina

Hey I just got a Crock Pot for Christmas and I have not used it yet. I feel if you have a great slow cooking sauce. Go For It.

I really wanted to warm up a spaghetti pre stove cooked THIS

Idea it cooks bagged stews or frozen stews while you are out is the main idea of a Crock Pot not to watch it. The store bought is so prepared to heat and eat. If you have it I take my hat off to you sure...I wanted to do a stuffed cabbage or even corned beef in mine. Merry Christmas Great Minds Think Alike...Bravo

Yep, you sure can! Actually it is better because you don't have to worry about scorching the bottom of the pot. I also use my crock for chili, corned beef and cabbage, pork chops and sauerkraut, and beef stew. Happy holidays!

Yes you can. I would suggest browning the meat first, then putting in the crock pot.

Yes, go for it, I bet it will taste great.

• ?

yes