Any social security survivors benefit for children whose deceased parents who worked less than stated time?

Social security states parents must have worked 1 1/2 years in the last 3 years preceding death for childen to qualify for survivor benefits. Is there any other benefit thru social security that these 2 chidlren, ages 3 and 8 motnhs might qualify for?

Favorite Answer

They MIGHT be able to get SSI depending on their caretakers income. SSI is a needs based program, kind of like welfare. I suggest calling the 1800 number or stopping in at your local SSA office.

Source(s): I work for Social Security
  • mrotek

the daddy would not might want to be on the BC, yet there does might want to be some kind of knowledge that he's the daddy of the toddler. Documentation of kid help funds, DNA try effects, affidavit of paternity, probably DNA from an in intensity relative which could set up paternity...

Yes, they will draw from SSI. I have 2 grandchildren with dead parents.You can apply online. You will need cretified death certificates at interveiw.