Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Urgent help from English native speakers—two English questions!?

Hello, I am an English teacher in China. I have two questions just below. As answers differ greatly, I particularly want some help form the English native speakers. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

------------------------

1 There are bound to be some words and phrases that belong in formal language and others that are informal.

Is there anything wrong with this sentence?

2 The flood of women into the job market boosted economic growth and changed U.S. society in many ways. Many in-home jobs that used to be done primarily by women--ranging from family shopping to preparing meals to doing ______ work--still need to be done by someone .Husbands and children now do some of these jobs, a situation that has changed the target market for many products. Or a working woman may face a crushing “poverty of time “ and look for help elsewhere , creating opportunities for producers of frozen meals, child care centers, dry cleaners, financial services, and the like.

Which one of the following 15 words best suits the blank?

scale, retailed, generate, extreme, technically, affordable, situation, really, potential, gap, voluntary, excessive, insulted, purchase, primarily

Favorite Answer

Sentence 1 is OK.

Sentence 2 None of the words really works. "House work" is what I think you mean.

"in-home" should be "domestic". ..."Or" is redundant in context.

"....creating opportunities for service providers across the spectrum of household needs and for manufacturers of any food or product to make up for the lost time" might be a bit better as a broad definition relative to your idiom.

Use of vernacular expression is excellent, but just got a little scrambled in that sentence, where the association is a little jumbled.

Source(s): I'm a writer.

There are bound to be some words and phrases that belong in formal language, and others that belong in informal language.

It just makes it a little bit less ambiguous.

None of your word choices really work well.

Try:

Many in-home jobs that used to be done primarily by women, ranging from family shopping and preparing meals to Housework, still need to be done by someone.

When you are defining a range of options it is usual to just name two options. If you are enumerating the set of options you can fill it up. Linking shopping and cooking with and puts them into the same task as "meal preparation" and Housework normally includes all the cleaning tasks like sweeping and laundry.

I am not an English professor, just an English speaker.

None of the words fit the blank. The word that belongs there is house, preparing meals to doing housework, as in dusting, cleaning vacuuming , etc.

I would also change the second sentence by sayin , "Many in-home tasks". Job suggests work done for pay. Between women and ranging, put a comma. A comma also belongs after housework and in formal English, one should not strat a sentence with a contraction, like or.

Yes, there are a few things wrong with this sentence. For one thing, it is way too long. In American English, I don't think that it's accetable to end a sentence with " and the like". You could use etc. (etcetra) or and other services. I am not sure that your information is outdated since women in the USA have been working outside the home since the 1960's. but what you say is accurate. In the blank, I would not use any of those words. We call it housework if it involves any chore performed at home or for the home. I hope this helps. I am American and I did well in the subject of English in public school, so you can consider my information to be reliable.

1. There bound to be some words and phrases that belong in formal language and some informal words as well.

Alternate sentence construction:

2. Some words belong in formal language and some informal as well.

('are' appearing twice in a sentence takes the effectiveness away). Hope you like the corrected first sentence or the alternate.

As for the second paragraph, use 'house'

English is my 1st language (and only language) and I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

1. Grammatically, this sentence is correct. Though, I would probably say: There are bound to be some words and phrases that are used primarily in formal language, while others would best be used informally.

2. Basically, none of the 15 choices of words you gave us make much sense to me. I would put "house" in the blank.

Hope this helps!

• akband

1. There are bound to be some words and phrases that belong to language which may be formal and informal.

2. excessive

HAVE A GOOD DAY

None of these fit the bill. The word I think you're looking for is "house" as in "housework"

The text is very good apart from starting a sentence with "Or".

That's not good.

• zen

ranging from family shopping to preparing meals to doing ______ work--still need to be done by someone

"housework"

1. is OK

None of those fit. But "household" does. Try household work.