how can you decrease student loan balances through volunteer, or community service?

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    As far as I know, the only routes to get help/forgiveness of student loans (or a portion of them anyway) are military service, VISTA, or Peace Corps.

    Source(s): I have $14K in student loans myself.
  • 1 decade ago

    The answer depends on the type of loan you have. Some student loans have a forgiveness provision for borrowers that go into the Peace Corps. I believe there is also a program called Vista and military service can get you some help paying loans back. You need to check with the financial aid office at your school to get details on these programs and to see if you qualify. At worst, you can probably gain a defferment for a short period of time.

  • Big C
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    none that I know about. Go to the college where you got your loan to see about paying it back at a lower cost. I did not find this out till I paid my student loan when I was in the Army. St Mary's College said they could have gotten me a lower rate to pay back.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.