has anybody here read "the catcher in the rye" by J.D. Salinger?

if so, what do you think of it? what do you think is the author's main point in his book? is the book recommendable for others to read?

• Favorite Answer

I read it and LOVED it... it's definitely a classic. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone who enjoys reading fiction that is truly a work of word art. The author's main point of the book, I believe, was to provide a literary masterpiece that portrays the deeper workings of heart, mind and soul - the 'edge' of a scattered life.

I love "Catcher in the Rye". It is a great coming of age story where we get to see the protagonist walk on the precipice between childhood and adulthood. We get to see some of the fears and angst experienced by adolescents everywhere. The book utilizes the f-word a lot, so if you are offended by the use of this word, you might wasn't to consider a different book.

I'm in chapter 15, and till now i love it! I love the main character (Holden; boy he's so funny!).

I wonder what the ending will be like. Now that I read some of the answers you've got; about how great the book was, I'm so excited to finsh reading it!

• amazon

Yeah, but it was a long time ago, not really sure what the point of the book was about right now, but I loved that book. Yes, I would have other's read it, it is great for young adults who are going through their teenage years.

Yes, it was a pretty good book, but Holden Caulfield is kind of emo, or always says he's gonna do this huge, life changing thing, but never gets around to it. That gets kind of annoying. Also, the ending was kind of dull, the ending was just blah.

I loved the beginning and middle parts though.

I thought I was like Holden. I thought about stupid stuff all the time and I do live in New York. But I'm not a little whiny ***** thats rich and I didn't have a mental breakdown. I like that book.

• DeeDee

i read it years ago for school and back then i loved it

throughout the years i misplaced the book and i ended up buying the book from ebay about a mth ago

i recommend it but it depends if people want to read it

An excellent book.

The author's main point is to show the reader what a phony world we live in. But not in a patronising way, but a funny way.

You'll love it.

It's one of the best books ever written. The phrase "Great American Novel" refers to it.

I would recommend it to everyone. Great book.

One of the best books of the Twentieth Century. Read it, definitely read it!