Would anyone please tell me why the day after Christmas is called boxing day?

I've asked few people about it but I didn't get any answer, someone might know, would you tell me please?

Favorite Answer

Despite its name, Boxing Day, which is celebrated on December 26 in Great Britain, has nothing to do with pugilistic competition. Nor is it a day for people to return unwanted Christmas presents. While the exact origins of the holiday are obscure, it is likely that Boxing Day began in England during the Middle Ages. Some historians say the holiday developed because servants were required to work on Christmas Day, but took the following day off. As servants prepared to leave to visit their families, their employers would present them with gift boxes. Another theory is that the boxes placed in churches where parishioners deposited coins for the poor were opened and the contents distributed on December 26, which is also the Feast of St. Stephen

I have a friend from Cornwall and she says that it used to be that servants worked on Christmas and were given the next day off to be with their families. Before they would leave their employers would give them their months wages and a boxed gift; because of the boxed gift the day became known as Boxing Day. It is still celebrated in many homes. My friend says her Mother used to wrap some small trinket and put by their plates at dinner on that day.

• Big C

Never heard of this. Could be cuz the wife does not get a good present from the husband, so the next day she fights "Boxes" him for getting a cheap present for her. lol

Because thats when you box all the presents you get. Im not 100% sure but thats what my family told me. I always wondered why it wasnt the day before. anyway

Not a clue, I usually consider it a holiday.

I used to think it had something to do with getting rid of the packaging or with repacking the presents to return them, but that doesn't seem right quite...

• T J

Boxing day is when the more well-to-do would take their unwanted gifts, re-box (re-gift) them and give them to the hired help and/or the needy.

It has nothing to do with boxing (the sport).