What does respect mean to you?Do you have respect for your elders?

My daughter asked to move back in at home.I said she could if she helped around the house,but the only time she helps is when I tell her to.She does not have a job plays xbox a lot-online Halo.I clean only to wake up to dishes dirty that I did not have when I went to bed.Is this respect or not??

Favorite Answer

No tell her to get she little A** busy around the house helping and if she is not working to get a job. Daughters will do this if you let them. Put your foot down. This is your home! If she has had a really bad time then i can see giving her a few weeks break but after that- it is time for her to do her share. Sit her down and have a cup of tea or coffee and have a firm but pleasant talk with her. Don't yell at her but if she won't change then let her get her own place. Demand respect-sometimes you have to.

Respect is more than just helping out with some household chores. She sounds like lazy more than anything else. Speak with her and advise her that doing some household chores would mean doing meaningful things. Spending time on the phone, X-box, etc.. is a waste of time besides its unproductive. Advise her to be financially independent and get herself a job.

• Jack S

It may not be disrespect so much as it's just laziness. I was guilty of the same thing from time to time, but that didn't mean that I didn't respect my parents. As for what respect means to me, it means common courtesy and a polite demeanor. Whether a person is my elder or not, I show respect until it is no longer shown to me.

I wouldnt say it's a respect issue yet. for instance, i love respect and cherish my mom. when i was younger she would follow me literally, cleaning up after me, she swept my room a couple times a week, folded my laundry clean my room made my bed. Basically I didnt see a reason to clean or sweep and make my bed when i already had someone doing it. And from the sounds of it, your daughter is ready for her housekeeper to move back in, and as long as you come back and clean up after her youre just to blame because youre robbing her independence, and you cant learn independence on your own. and your job is to prepare her for the world whether or not she likes you. she'll mature and realize the expenses eventually and begin to repect her stuff that she has bought not you, i wouldnt let her back unless she has a job or working on getting one. she'll thank you later on in life when she makes a good roommate.

Source(s): Experience.

no, that's not being respectful of you or your house. I would tell her firmly if she cannot follow the rules then she has to get her, her own place and then she would be able to do what she wants. Don't let her run your house, she needs to find a job, give her a timeline so she knows ur not playing.

• deb m

I have always had respect for my elders

I would a) make her get a job to pay the new house keeper

b) get her act together

c) move out

No. She is doing as many children do; she is taking advantage of you. My children and grandchildren do the same to me. Is it disrespect? Could this be habit because we loved our children and took the best care of them that we could and they just expect the same treatment now as when they were children? Did you raise her without allowing her to help you cook and clean? There are a lot of reasons for these actions. I truly wonder if it is disrespect too.

Yes I do. You need to draw up guidelines as to what you want her to do.Your daughter needs to show you some respect and do what you ask. Get her to pay rent money. That might be a wake up call.

• Sax M

You need to kick her out again. It's obvious that she has no work ethics and responsibilities. Thank yourself for bringing her up in such a disciplined environment. This is what you get from her in the end. Good job.

Stop allowing her to remain in childhood. Give her 30 days to GET OUT and grow the (*(&( up.