Severe sore throat, what can I do to help and should I go to the ER on Christmas?

Last night I started to get a bit of a sore throat which has progressed by this morning to being swollen and red...so much that I can barely swallow or speak. What can I do to help (I'm breastfeeding so most medications are out of the question...) and should I go to the ER on Christmas day or wait until tomorrow?

• GI
    Favorite Answer

Your in Luck... My brother is here visiting for christmas and is board certified er/ peds doc. He said If you are running a high fever and/or have a rash then you should go to the er. Other wise he suggest you take some tylenol ( SAFE WHEN NURNING) and wait until you can contact your regular md. He also suggest washing your hands before handling the baby to try to avoid getting he/she sick. More than likely this is viral and there is little the er can do. Good luck.

I have the same thing, and this is going on my 4th day of having it.

I can tell you, that Nyquil did not work. Tylenol Sore Throat soothes the pain a little (not completly) and doesnt reduce swelling. Aspirin had the same effect (but not as strong) as Tylenol.

Im suggesting you try mouthwash or gargle salt water. Warm tea with honey can help.

If none of these help (I'll be trying them tomorrow too)...then I guess we'll both go to the ER rom tomorrow! Haha, kinda sucks!

"Most medications are out of the question" you said.

Actually, this is a misconception about breastfeeding. Even though tiny amounts of medicine may appear in your breastmilk, in most cases this is not harmful to infants. Any medicine that can be prescribed to an infant or a pregnant woman can be taken by a breastfeeding woman. Tylenol is perfectly safe, and any antibiotic you could be prescribed for strep throat would be safe too. Dr. Newman has written the following great article about breastfeeding and maternal medication.

• Nina

Yes Go to ER if is is getting worse

I feel a salt water gargle is great to aid in bath of warm water to draw out soreness. Need I ask if you got a cold or fever or if you are allergic to something. It needs medical attention and if you hurry they wont hold you all day. Hopeful that not gunshot wounds came in your area. The gunshot gets the most attention.

Your throat wont get so much attention. You could wait but your airway may close up and you do not want that to happen.

• pepper

Best medicine for sore throat is green tea. You can make a strong brew and gargle with it as often as you feel necessary (every hour or so). In between the gargles, sip on it constantly. I've used it to get rid of laryngitis. Green tea kills germs and also has an astringent effect so it reduces swelling. Good luck.

If you have any whiskey... take a tablespoon and try to let it drain down your throat WITHOUT swallowing if you can.. it will burn for about 10 to 20 seconds, but then throat will really feel better... if you can handle it, repeat it (that small of amount is less than alot of meds over the counter so I woundn't worry about alcohol 'content'). Not only will it make it feel better, but it will help kill off infection and germs in the throat!!!

Source(s): Best help I've found for sore throat in 20 years
  • DeeDee

ok, this may sound silly but im not joking and i had tried it myself and worked(for me)

i gargled some mouthwash ie: Listerine

i did this in the morning, lunch time and at night and noticed that the swelling went down

it has something to do with what is in the mouthwash that kills bacteria

its not harmful to the baby (unless you swallow it - not recommended)

but it worked

I hope you get better, if not, go to the ER to see what they can do for you

Merry Christmas

Take your breast pump and stock up on milk for the baby and then go to the ER. If you throat swelled up over night to where you can't speak or swallow, it's urgent you get attention.

This recipe will take all the pain away!

Take water and heat it up as for you would for tea. Let 2 and a half tablespoons of honey disolve in the water. Soak a lemon slice in the drink for 5 minutes, drink it!

You will feel so much better, and it cleanses out your body!

Either put your humidifier on, or simmer a pot of boiling water on the stove to put moisture in the air & soothe your throat.

Also, gargle with warm salt water.

Good luck, & Merry christmas.

You can also suck on hard candy to soothe your throat.