Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

can i mate a 9 inch male oscar with a two inch female?? will he eat her and how is it done exp only please?

Favorite Answer

I wouldn't try it! First of all, there are NO ways to determine the sex of an Oscar other than having sexually mature groups and watching their behavior to distinguish pairs among the group. So you will have no way to know whether the fish you THINK is a male is really so and visa versa. Further more, your 2 inch fish is no way near sexual maturity. Oscars reach sexual maturity at around 5-6 inches. I would not reccomend introducing the two fish together until the smaller one has reached at leat 5 inches. To get the smaller one to grow a little faster, I have found that if you feed it more live food :small feeders such as guppies and minnow, readily available at your pet store, brine shrimp, blood worms, and night crawlers (earthworms, available at places like Lowe's and home depot in the garden section, or at most local plant nurserys) Also, there is a pellet food called "Oscar Grow", I can't remember the brand at the moment, but I know it is available at most Petco stores, and online at their website. Make sure to keep your little one's tank as clean as possible, as a dirty enviroment can cause developmental issues with your fish. When it comes time to put the two together, put a clear divider into the tank to seperate the fish. Leave it like this for a few weeks and watch their behavior closely. If there seems to be no aggressive bahavior between the two, remove the divider and let it go from there. It is still possible that fighting and bullying may occur, and in this case, remove the smaller fish and return it to it's tank. If everything goes smoothly, good luck! There is still a chance you have two fish of the same sex, and that they simply just "get along"! Remember, one full grown Oscar should be in a tank of about 70 gallons, and two sould be in 90-100 gallons, though the bigger the tank the better! The best way to get a breeding pair is to buy 6 to 8 baby Oscars (one to two inches) and put them in a tank together. (55 gallons would be ideal for this) Watch them as they grow and see which ones pair off. Usually, the ones that pair off end up being mates. (This method is true of most chichlids)

Source(s): I have been an Oscar owner for many years and have had the advise from many different resources, including my local fish store, books, online resources, but most of all experience. I love these fish and do hope that I can give helpful advice and steer novice Oscar owners in the right direction. I also raise Severum cilchlids and am quite knowledgable on these as well as the basics of most South and Central American cichlid species. If you, or anyone else has any further questions, please feel free to contact me: staryeyedwonderer@yahoo.com.
  • Rhea B

Oscars are very aggressive fish.Typically they tell you to keep ifsh that are smaller than half the size of your oscar in a separate tank.It's been many yrs since I gave much thought to breeding habits of egg layers.I recommend you go to store that specializes in nothing but fish and talk to someone. And do a lot of reading on the subject. Breeding egglayers is not a simple process and in order to be succesful you'll need to be well prepared. Good Luck

• garica

Male convicts will bully the female into mating. positioned countless flat rocks to chosen from for spawning sites and many hiding places. oftentimes the pair gets alongside after spawning and share the parenting at the same time as chasing off different occupants. My final pair of convicts have been 3 & a million/2 inch male and a million & a million/2 inch woman. They paired off in a tank with 2or 3 different adult males and a couple of or 3 different women. He beat her up exceedingly good till she gave in then he stood shield at the same time as she tended the eggs and fry. After approximately ten days I got here residing house from paintings to locate the female chewed to loss of existence and the fry eaten. the two you have look closer in length and could be positive interior the 29. i could eliminate the Oscar to stay away from the battling and the pleco so it would not consume the eggs. good good fortune!!

i ve got 13 oscars (5-7"). u sure the 2" is ready for mating?

try seeing the belly, if yes for mating, then put it for the laying cuz after some time the big one will start chasing the female and she ll die of swiming.he wont eat the female.

Thats how an Oscar breeds. The male inseminates the female, eats her, then she lays the eggs inside of him, and he gives birth. Totally natural cycle. Don't sweat it.

that 2 inch female is to small and he will eat her

a 2" female is not ready to breed, you will only kill her if you put her in the tank with the large fish

Source(s): aquarist 35 yrs