Since japanese maples like a slightly acid soil, can I use a acidorganic fertilizer to feed them in the sping?

Our ph is is right in the middle and I want to give my maples a acid fertilizer to change slightly the ph.

Favorite Answer

I'd recommend the use of an organic acidic fertilizer... if you don't already have one you like, look at ESPOMA brand, 'hollytone'. It's excellent for all sorts of garden plants. As always follow the directions on the label, if you follow them you'll be alright. Hollytone is used twice per year, once in the spring, and at a lesser rate in the fall.

If you can't find a product you like, you can use a soil acidifier such as Iron Sulphate, Aluminum Sulphate, Magnesium Sulphate or Garden Sulpher to help move the soil pH, and a general purpose organic fertilizer. Again follow the directions on the labels. All of those 'supplements' I've listed occur naturally in the soil, but perhaps not at 'adequate' levels.

Rustybone is off track on this... infact I don't know where she's going... but Reynwater and the other answerer's are giving some good advice (I don't always agree with her, but a nod to her today).

Source(s): I am a professional horticulturist

Tried to send e-mail but, wasn't allowed!

Buy a "brick of dry peat moss and add the fertilizer to half of it, mixing well. Spread this from the trunk to the dripline.

Even though it's organic, the fertilizer could still burn the roots and by doing it this way, you get slight acid from the peat moss and no chance of root burn.

Source(s): 45 years gardening

Epsom salts = alternative to acid fertilizer. sprinkle around the drip line. Camelias, Azaleas, and Gardenias enjoy this too.

mulch with pine needles that will add acid to the soil

sure. But remember not to use sulphuric acid