promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

what is black moled on your walls?

i found black mole on my walls

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    It is probably a rhizopus variety of mold, like black bread mold (not the green one, that is aspergillus penicillium), most likely due to moisture. It could also be a toxic aspergilius. I would clean it and find the source as the first post had said. Depending on the source, it could be a do-it-yourself topical cleaning job or a proffesional job that would have strip the wall down to the studs. To prevent further growth, watch the moisture levels in your house, and fix any leaks. Molds can easily trigger health problems and latent allergies. Also, some molds are very toxic and the spores can get to you and cause problems later on. If you are really worried about the mold, take a sample and look at it under a microscope if you have one available, a local museum or college may also be able to help you with the identification. If you develop any respiratory problems or sudden strange illnesses, this sample may be the key to a quicker diagnosis. Sorry to sound so pesimistic, but it is important for you to have all of the facts. Ever seen the show House? There was a pretty dark episode concerning a mold in a wall. Also, the thing that killed some of the people who opened King Tut's tomb was not a curse, but a toxic black mold that produced deadly mycotoxins. Here's luck to you for a fast and fun clean-up!

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    The mold on your wall could be any variety. Molds come in colors ranging from white, green, pink, yellow, blue, gray, and black. The type can only be identified by analysis. This is the fallacy to the popular opinion that because mold is black, it is toxic. It also is a myth that green or white mold will not make you sick. The toxicity of the mold is dependant on your allergic reaction to the mold. What makes you sick, maybe doesn't make me sick.

    I would caution you on cleaning unless the damage is less than 10 sq. ft. DO NOT use bleach and water, this will not kill the mold. Use a detergent and water, spray (mist) the area first, then clean, rinse with clean water and allow to thoroughly dry. Make sure you use proper protection when doing this. You must find the cause of the moisture and remedy or the mold will return.

    Call a professional and have air samples taken to determine how much mold is in the air. Do not use a home test kit, as this will only identify the type, and not the spore count. Visit horizon-inspections.com, mold page for more info. Feel free to email me with any questions you may have. Good luck.

    Source(s): certified mold inspector
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    ANY mold is not good for you but regardless of the color you should start cleaning it up immediately PLUS make sure you find the source so it doesn't keep coming back. This could make you very sick so I'd recommend doing it soon.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    black mold could be regular mold or black mold. Regular mold you can clean away, black mold you need to have professionals stip down to the framing if necessary to get rid of it. Either way you should not have mold in your home. You could get very sick from it.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Yep, clean with a bleach/water solution and buy a mold killing primer/paint.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    time to do some serious mold and mildew elimination, consult a contractor or builder. more than one and check references.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.