Can I break my lease because of a bad roach problem-I have a 3 yr old and they get on her. She wont sleep now.

She is so scared of them. I am also concerned about her health - it seems like she had vomiting and loose bowel movements since we been in the apartment. We were forced out on x-mas eve because I was fed up of the roaches getting on her. What can I do? Also, I only been in the apt. for 6 days and when I did the walk through I could not tell there was a bad problem. They are on both of us and in our food.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Buy a container or Borax. It's poisonous to rocaches, so spread it around the edges of the walls. They'll soon die.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Tell the landlord and he/she will have to fix the problem. If the landlord doesn't fix it, you can probably break the lease. Check your state website for this information, though. I do know that in the state where I live, the landlord is responsible for keeping the apartment as a safe, healthy living environment and if they do not, they are the ones who are violating the agreements in the lease. Once a landlord violates the lease, it is no longer valid.

• KinWin
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You sure can. The landlord has a duty to provide you a safe clean place to live. If he is not living up this, then you can call the city on him or you can with hold rent until he /she do something about the problem. roaches carry all sorts of diseases.

• 1 decade ago

you really cannot break the lease becasue of bugs. Call the landlord, write the landlord, then pay for an exterminator yourself and take it out of the rent. Leave a paper trail though. I grew up with roaches because the area of the country I was in. Make a game of it for your daughter, coverr up your food, put your silver ware in bags, and then get rid of them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jem
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Your apartment should have an exterminating service that they use. I would contact the leasing office and let them know what is going on.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You need to speak with the landlord and if you don't get satisfaction, speak to an attorney.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, it falls under unsanitary living conditions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.