Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 decade ago

Do Chinese people eat cheese?

and if so what kind?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm Chinese and I only eat cheese in western dishes...I love it but it's hard to come by in China I think. And it's not at all in our traditional dishes in fact traditionally we rarely eat dairy, just drink milk occasionally. when I was little it was hot milk which I found gross. anyway we like to heat everything up

• 1 decade ago

When you ask about Chinese eating habits you are asking about a country larger than the US with 1. 3 billion people in it. So it really depends on the region that you are thinking about. In Western China, cheese made from mares milk, goat milk, sheep milk is all in the daily diet.

I live in Shenzhen , China and here cheese is not a normal Chinese food. But the many sea foods found here are not available in the West.

China is just too big and too diverse to generalise about.

• 1 decade ago

In the Asian countries, there are not much if any cows and cheese is not made. So they dont eat cheese there, however when in US or other countries they will eat it if on the menu. Although alot of Chinese are lactose intolerent due to not eating alot of dairy due to the statement above.

• 1 decade ago

I don't think cheese exists in China, perhaps they eat cheese when they are having non-chinese food?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i don't think traditionally. im mostly chinese, and when i went to china for a vacation, i love dairy things and i couldn't go a day without asking for milk and yogurt, they were staring at me like i was a freak for loving dairy so much. the only traditionally common dairy thing is ice cream (they love ti actually), they always have milk but many dont seem to like it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As part of Western foods, yes, but not in traditional Chinese cuisine.

• 1 decade ago

Normally they don't eat cheese.

But if they do, I'd recommend something a little less 'strong' for their tastes. Cheddar maybe...

Source(s): I live in China. My mother is Chinese.
  • 1 decade ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yunnan_Cheese

apparently the chinese do eat cheese read the above.

• 1 decade ago

they eat everything

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.