Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Are poison rat pellets harmful to my 14 month labrador?

Its been 24hrs since he swallowed 3-4 pellets. I already saw the pellets in his stool. In my observation, he still the same, energetic and playful none had changed. None of the symtoms (as i read in the box) that he had been poisoined manifested. Does this mean that my dog is out of danger?

16 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    No. he is not out of danger if he keeps eating it.just try to keep the dog away from the rat poison and start cleaning your house so you don't have to use rat poison. Rats likes to live on trash.

  • 1 decade ago

    It's amazing that the pellets did not change after being digested. Rat poison is an anticoagulant (coumadin) - so make sure your dog is not bleeding. The antidote by the way is not Atropine, rather vitamin k, fyi. Your dog problably weighs enough to be ok if he only swallowed a couple of pellets.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    I think it makes the blood really thin and lowers the white blood cell count, which fight infection. The pellets may have come out, but it's inevitable that the poison was absorbed already. I would give him unlimited water for at least a week, and low fat high protein foods, like liver, fish, and grains, and NO people food. Just to be sure.

  • 1 decade ago

    The most common blood thinning Rat poison can take up to 96 hours to do its damage. There is an inexpensive antidote. I believe it is Vitimin K. But that can be a poison as well. Take the animal to the vet for blood tests, diagnosis and proper treatment.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Re-read the rat pellet box as there should be a phone number listed on it for the poison control hot line. If not, find it in your local phone directory. Call them and they can help answer your questions. Hope all works out for you and that you get a second chance with your dog.

    P.S. Please pick up the rat poison.

  • 1 decade ago

    OMG! Take him to the vet! Why wait until your dog starts bleeding out and there is nothing you can do? How can you be sure that the dog only ate a few pellets? Go to the vet now!

  • 1 decade ago

    Never in any danger. A 50 lb animal that ingests something designed to harm a 2 oz. mouse. I doubt he'd even burp. Besides, whats more harmful? A Dog eating it's own crap, or... hel nevermind. dumb question in the first place.

    Like the person below says, Panic like hel, spend 1000 bucks for an ambulance ride, notify the CDC, call the FBI and the CIA, and while your at it, the NAACP. But for Christ sakes do something, before nothing happens.

  • 2D
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Rat poison is hardly harmful to rats, much less a dog. When my daughter was only a year old she & her friend found some rat poison in my apartment (management put it there & I had no idea). Anyway I brought the kids to the emergency room & the dr didn't examine them. The dr said even rats have to eat a lot of the poison for it to kill them. So I think your dog is very safe.

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes. Take him into your vet. Call the poison control center in your area immediately!! Your dog's life depends on it

  • 1 decade ago

    If you saw them pass I would think that the worry would pass, I had a rabbit that swallowed a whole bunch and we were worried, a vet told us to give the rabbit peroxide to make it vomit, it never did, but it was just fine, just keep an eye on him, they are pretty strong dogs

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.