Eric O asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

I got my roommate a expensive watch for christmas $600. Didn't recieve anything in return. Should I be upset?

Not sure if I should be mad or not? I did it because I wanted to, and really don't mind giving. Just thought it was ettique to at least get a card or something in return! Am I out of line?

Favorite Answer

WOw you don't mean very much to your room mate. You shold be upset with yourself for buying someone an expensive gift when they don't value you. That is a flaw you must fix in yourself or people will always take advantage of you. While giving is great and is a good thing, giving and being taken for granted is a bad thing. You should feel out of whack cause not getting you one thing shows that the other person has little value for you.

Source(s): I listen to Dr. Laura.
  • Aside from the fact that you over estimated your roommate and he did not ask for such an expensive gift, you have only yourself to blame. Christmas is only a day, bet you will still get a gift next payday. It is always best to work out gift giving with limits ahead of time so both parties will know what to expect. Your room mate may not have money to spend or belong to a religon that does not give gifts on Christmas. I would be more worried that this will affect your perfect arrangement and problems are around the corner.

If i am you, i would feel upset esp when you have treated the person as a friend and he treat you like nobody. It's a natural reaction that everyone will feel except Santa Claus who will only give and expects nothing back.

On the other hand, think why did you choose to give present at this occasion, isn't it because you want the person to feel happy? You have already done that. You have spread the happiness not only to your roommate but also people who have received your present and wishes.

Let's just celebrate this joyous occasion - Merry Christmas to you!

If I were the roommate I would be uncomfortable having received such an expensive present. Are you trying to move the relationship into something more than "roommate" status? Don't you think you went overboard and quite possibly created an awkward situation between yourself and the roommate? Had the present been something of less value I don't think you would be asking your question.

first of all were you showing off? did you try to show that you hav enough money to buy such an expensive gift?

ok even if you had gifted your roommate but that does not mean you should expect one from her also. ya a card or something other in return would have worked but don'y forget at last it's your roommates wish to gift you in return or not! you can't expect always ! be cheerful if even your roommate has wished you on this great day.

They are probably shocked and stunned that you gave them something so expensive. If you gave it to them recently, they may have not gotten around to giving you a thank you card. They could also have some financial difficulties and couldn't afford to give presents out to anyone other than immediate family. They also may be embarassed and thinking of how to properly thank you. Don't assume just yet, but really, that was really expensive/generous. I am sure they appreciate it though, lol I know I would!

No. A thank you is the least you should get. His or her circumstances may make it impossible to give you something of similar value. By the way, Christmas is not about outspending each other. It is about exchanging "thoughtful" gifts and sentiments and their values need not be measured in $. Anything over $10 is overspending! Save expensive giving for birthdays.

• jom

It seems you lack wisdom about appropriate boundaries and how to manage your money. A $600 gift to a roommate comes with all kinds of unspoken "strings" that probably make your roommate very uncomfortable. I only can think you are very young and have not learn these life lessons. You can learn from this mistake.

If you really wanted your friend to get you somthing or vice versa, you both should've agreed on a gift exchange, i don't think you should get upset, because it was a gift, and maybe a thank you note should be applied, but you may be a bit out of line getting mad. IT IS A GIFT>

He should have the etiquette to get you atleast try to get you something in return. But when you give a present you give it without expectations of getting something in return. It a true Christmas gift. You shouldn't be upset....you are so generous!