zidag123 asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

Can a women nurse while taking codeine for pain?

My wife was put on antibiotics for an infection and codeine (20 milligrams) for the pain. Can she still nurse?

Favorite Answer

No, since whatever goes into her system goes directly to her milk. Have nursed 3 and a dr gave me Erythromycin while pregnant because I had strep throat which, in turn, turned my son's teeth mottled to this day....he is 24.

Two solutions:

1. Have her not take the meds for 24 hrs and is out of her system....use a breast pump and store enough milk for 2 weeks, then start the antibiotics. Not really practical.

2. Buy the best baby formula replacement you can find that your baby will tolerate until your wife is off her codeine. More realistic.

• Karen

People think wisdom teeth surgery is the worst thing ever, but it's not that bad. As long as you take care of the sockets afterward, it really doesn't hurt that much. I think I only took my vicodin 1 or 2 times when I had my teeth out and my face hardly bruised. You just can't swish anything around your mouth for a few weeks until the scars heal, because you could get dry socket which is VERY painful. But you may be surprised to find that you are uncomfortable for a few days after the surgery but not in extreme pain. Stock up on yogurt and applesauce!

• Rene B

She shouldn't. Not unless she wants to introduce her baby early to addicting drugs. Her doctor should have known better than giving her codeine if she is nursing.

NO! NO! NO! Do you want your baby hooked on the Codeine??? Her doctor would have told her not to nurse and YOU need to stay out of it!!!

You think your baby is crying now at night. That is not good. But if that is what her Doctor recommended. We are not Doctors.

Very unhealthy.

Not recommended.

Source(s): Your local doctor.

not a good idea

codiene is used a narcotics.

thats a heavy perscription, i'd be wary...