Got carjacked awhile ago;recovered by the cops a couple months later-now I'm trying to sell it.Clean title?

I have a black '93 Toyota Camry and it was stolen a couple years ago. The cops found it abandoned a couple months later. It was dirty, but there was no major mechanical damage or theft of parts. The car still runs like a gem but won't win any beauty pageant.

I now want another car and am trying to sell it. Does this car still have a clean title? If not, how much should I discount it from Kelly Blue Book private party listing? Thanks for the help, this is my first post!

Thanks for the info.

So when someone does a Carfax report on my car's VIN number, the fact that it was stolen won't show up on it? Hmm, that's great and bad news at the same time [my next car will be a used one ;-) ]

Favorite Answer

CARFAX currently receives information about stolen vehicles from a few states. In these cases, CARFAX Reports only indicate if the vehicle was once reported stolen to a state DMV.

CARFAX does not have the vehicle's current status and therefore does not know if it has been recovered. If you suspect a car has been stolen you should contact your local authorities for additional information.

Salvage Title - A Salvage Title is issued on a vehicle damaged to the extent that the cost of repairing the vehicle exceeds ~ 75% of its pre-damage value.. This damage threshold may vary by state. Some states treat Junk titles the same as Salvage but the majority use this title to indicate that a vehicle is not road worthy and cannot be titled again in that state. The following ten States also use Salvage titles to identify stolen vehicles - AZ, FL, GA, IL, MD, MN, NJ, NM, NY, OK and OR.

Source(s): www.carfax.com/help

1

A clean title means that your property is free of any claims from others. If you own your car outright -- and aren't paying a bank or other lienholder -- then you have a clean title to your vehicle. Your car being stolen does not affect the title at all.

Kelly Blue Book's (KBB) rates are based on the number of mechanical and/or cosmetic defects. If the theft caused neither of these, there is no reason to discount your asking price from the KBB rate.

2

Source(s): Get Your Vin Report http://VinNumberLookup.gelaf.info/?bHbt

no one else owned it, they stole it, so the title should be clean unless the cops are still looking for it for some reason. you can ask the local license branch for information on that question.