One of my kids is hyperactive and from 5 years ago, he spent RETALINE, what will be final results?

Favorite Answer

If he's been given Ritalin, that is CHILD ABUSE in my humble opinion. "Hyperactive" usually means that he's being punished for being normal, or unable to sit as rigid as a board listening to some boring hag all day in a classroom.

My nephew is 12 and have been on that stuff for several years. His growth is stunted and has the body of a 8 yr old. The medicine puts him into a quite state but I agree the drug is to calm those hyper kids that should just be changing their diets and doing more physical activity. We didnt have that stuff years ago and most parents where more involved in the kids life to deal with it and find a solution that doesn't invole medicine. I had him for a month in the summer and didn't give him anything and yes some days were hard but at least he got to be a real kid and not be in a drugged induced state the whole time.

If your child has been on retaline for five years and is still hyperactive, you need to see about getting a different medication or a different doctor. Another thing you can do to help his hyperness is take him for long walks, have him do puzzles/ games by himself, or have him exercise (jumping jacks, running in place, and/or push-ups) before he goes to bed. This can sometimes help take alot of his energy away until the following evening (few hours before he would normally go to bed).

Ritalin (as far as we know) has no significant long term affects and with a use time of 5 years any negative affects are likely negligible based on such a short time frame. Have you noticed a significant difference in your childs attention span? Drugs aren't the be all, end all solution to hyperactivity...sometimes changing diet or adding structure can also be affective.

no one really knows, everyone reacts differently to these things.