Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

The band the Eagles once dedicated one of their songs to Saddam Hussein in 1996?

They dedicated the song"peaceful easy feeling".You can look this up.Does anyone know the relationship between the U.S. and Iraq in 1996?

Thank you very much sunshine2 for confirming this.My rock and roll book has this and tons of other information regarding the Eagles.

Favorite Answer

Weird Al Yankovich dedicated "My Ayatollah", right?

Yes there was controversy on Sept. 12, '96 after the band dedicated "Peaceful Easy Feeling" to Saddam Hussein at a United States Democratic Party fundraiser held in Los Angeles.

Some things going on at that time was that the UN sanctions placed upon Iraq aften it invaded Kuwait were not lifted, blocking Iraqi oil exports. This caused immense hardship in Iraq (partly alleviated by smuggling oil through Syria and the Food for Oil program). Also UN inspectors were complaining about not being given proper access to search Iraq for banned weapons.

1996 was during the Clinton era so it was after the first war in iraq and during the "no fly" zone and embargo which we had against them. However, I think the Eagles dedicating a song to Saddam Hussein was not one of respect and admiration, but was more sarcastic in saying, Hey man, take it easy.

• john k

Somehow I am doubting this account. First of all it is a love song, and second as political as some of the Eagles have been in the past, I don't see any reason to call attention to Iraq in '96.

The Eagles had their Hell Frezes Over Reunion in '95... I can't think of anything they did together in '96 at all.

The Eagles had great songs including a rock hit song dedicating it to Saddam Hussien who was a great leader but was perceived by the US as abusive.

Dunno about US and Iraq relations in 96 .Wouldnt be that great as gulf war one was in 91.Anyway best Eagles song for him now and then would have to be Desperado.