What is a vertical sewing machine?

I was searching the web for information on my sewing machine and came across the term "vertical sewing machine"--as opposed to a horizontal sewing machine, apparently.

What on earth does that mean, exactly? I did a search for the term but all I found were links to accessories for vertical sewing machines, not the machines themselves or any description of them. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Anyone out there with a clue for me?

• honey
    Favorite Answer

I typed in "what is a vertical sewing machine" and got Bridgeport series boss in Biznet. You'll see the machine. What a big expense though!!!

Merry Christmas everyone! No - I've never even heard the expression "vertical sewing machine." I did a search for them, and just come up with bobbins and attachments for Brother sewing machines, which are just regular sewing machines. I did do a search for "horizontal sewing machines" just for the heck of it, and came up with nothing. So I guess a "vertical" sewing machine is just a regular sewing machine?

Interesting. Not that I can technically say I know.

But I have owned and used a handheld sewing machine that worked well for sewing hems on vertically hanging drapes.

I don't have it anymore, but I have seen one for about $20 recently at Dollar General. It was very handy.