Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What is a vertical sewing machine?

I was searching the web for information on my sewing machine and came across the term "vertical sewing machine"--as opposed to a horizontal sewing machine, apparently.

What on earth does that mean, exactly? I did a search for the term but all I found were links to accessories for vertical sewing machines, not the machines themselves or any description of them. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Anyone out there with a clue for me?

• honey
    Favorite Answer

I typed in "what is a vertical sewing machine" and got Bridgeport series boss in Biznet. You'll see the machine. What a big expense though!!!

Merry Christmas everyone! No - I've never even heard the expression "vertical sewing machine." I did a search for them, and just come up with bobbins and attachments for Brother sewing machines, which are just regular sewing machines. I did do a search for "horizontal sewing machines" just for the heck of it, and came up with nothing. So I guess a "vertical" sewing machine is just a regular sewing machine?

Interesting. Not that I can technically say I know.

But I have owned and used a handheld sewing machine that worked well for sewing hems on vertically hanging drapes.

I don't have it anymore, but I have seen one for about $20 recently at Dollar General. It was very handy.