Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

what r the best biker shoes?

i was just looking at my shoes and i wounder what r the best biker shoes.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

That question depends entirely on which clipless pedal system you use. If you use an SPD compatible system (Shimano, Look, Time, etc...) then you need to look for SPD compatible shoes, and then make a decision based on comfort, price, and looks.

The choice of shoes also depends on what type of riding you plan on doing. If you are a hardcore offroader, then something with a good strong shank in the sole, a heavily lugged sole for off bike traction, and decent webbing to allow water to pass out of the shoe are essential. These types of shoes are VERY stiff in the footbed and are not good if you just want to ride down to the local coffee shop for a drink, because the shoes won't flex and while you walk, you will look like you are trying to stand on your tip toes.

If you are more sedate in your riding style, then a shoe which is more flexible through the sole is more appropriate as you will likely be walking around more often off the bike. This means you can get a shoe that is a bit less expensive and will allow you to walk more comfortably, because the sole flexes with your foot.

If you are a hardcore road rider, then a flat sole hard plastic or carbon fiber sole is the ultimate choice. The less energy is wasted by your shoes flexing, the more energy makes it to the pedals and on down to the wheels. These flat soled shoes are generally called Look compatible (the brand that first made solid inroads in clipless pedals for road riders) although Shimano does have SPD-R (Shimano Pedaling Dynamics-Road) which uses a similar large cleat/flat sole approach.

The best brand is totally up to the individual and how each brand fits. The most POPULAR brand for mountain biking is SIDI (which I use) although they tend to be the most expensive, they are worth it in my opinion.

For road riding, Shimano is pretty strong with their own shoe brand, but Nike is very close as well.

Hope this helps!

• 1 decade ago

Specialized makes a pretty good line of shoes also. I don't recommend buying any shoes on line (even if they are cheaper) Most / all are made over seas and the actual size varies regardless of what the size number on the shoe is. always try them on before you buy them.

• 1 decade ago

THERE ARE AS MANY AS SHOES YOU CAN WEAR UPTO YOUR STATUS.I think it is best if you wear adidas.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.