Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

Which one is better a AMD opteron 165 1.80GHz or a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.20GHz?

I want to get either one what are the best options? and i heard since the opteron is server pc it uses diffrent memory? i want to build a pc for gaming multitasking dvd burning and rendering maybe some macromedia flash . but i dont know which cpu to choose i know the opteron has more cache while the athlon has less but has higher FSB and which one would be cheaper in the long run as in memory and motherboard wise? i need help anythin on these two cpu and if not some good persuasion on sum intels because i love amd Help plz

Update:

so ashish you reccomend athlon 4200 over the opteron? any other opinions i need some help Fast might buy cpu 2morrow

Update 2:

ok can anyone reccomend me any good motherboards for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+(65W) Windsor 2.2GHz am2 from newegg that arent so expensive so i can buy both online it need to have two ide but i cant find any!

Update 3:

thanks bubbie il look into the asus one any one else have any recommendations? and do you people think im making the right decision with the athlon am2 x2 4200 for the uses i need it for?

Update 4:

can anyone recommends me some good ATX motherboards from newegg for the amd athlon x2 4200+ AM2?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • SKG R
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

AMD most trouble free.

Source(s): self
  • 1 decade ago

The X2 is Much better for gaming and home use. The opteron is going to be a bit slower, and better at handling server like application. Deffinatly go with the X2, it's a nice dual core chip. I suggest using Newegg.com Finding what chip you want, then go from what socket type it is to find a motherboard with that socket and any other types of stuff you need from there. It's really easy after you find out what CPU you want to use, NewEgg sets it all out in category views and such.

Source(s): My BA in Computer Science.
  • 3 years ago

both are twin center processors, the basically massive difference you're determining to purchase is the more beneficial .1ghz between both processors. The 4400+ is a somewhat more recent technologies processor vs the 4200+, as AMD slowly releases new processors they develop the quantity sequence, an get at the same time being the hot released processor is the Athlon sixty 4 X2 6000+ that is a twin center 3ghz processor utilizing the AM2 socket. at the same time as given an in intensity selection like this, in many circumstances going with the more recent launch is the superb selection, so i'd say the 4400+.

• 1 decade ago

Well, faster internal speed with the 64, but less L2 memory.

Also, according to this link:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/opteron-165-1...

The opteron has room for overclocking ... if you don't mind a little bit of tinkering in CMOS.

I would probably go with the 64...only for the fact that it is specifically designed for workstations, not servers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ASUS M2NPV-VM Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82...

ASUS M2NBP-VM CSM Socket AM2 NVIDIA Quadro NVS 210S Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82...

AM2 socket mainboards with primary and secondary IDE connections. Micro ATX form factor.

• 1 decade ago

go for the 64 x2 its a dual cord pc and its better for gaming

• 1 decade ago

X2 is better as it shall give you more power for Gamming

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.