Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How much of an Impact has the child molestation scandals had on the Catholic Church?

And do you think some condemn the Catholic Church over a few sicko preists who have committed a serious crime? I have nothing against Catholics. I'm not Catholic and I disagree with alot of what they teach; But its not my place to decide whether or not they are goind to hell. And how can anyone say that for that matter? I don't think people should try to force someone of another faith to believe what they do. Of course if someone is curious about what I believe then I will tell them. But Manipulation by installing fear in a persons mind is not the right way to reveal your Idea to someone.

I think that there should be a zero tolerance child molestation policy! ABSOLUTELY!!! But not all Catholics are child molesters. I'm just saying that the only people who should be condemned for the Crime are the ones who committed it.

Favorite Answer

Of course it made an impact on me. Many Catholics I think feel the same way I do. However, it does not change the fact that I belong to the right Church. May I also point out that scandals have also happened in other non-Catholic churches.

Jesus Christ never said that the Church he will found in Peter will be perfect. The Church must move on and correct its mistakes as it has done in the past.

All those pedophile priests showed people that they themselves didn't believe that there is a man living in a cloud watching over everything that you do. Many of those priests were just moved to another parish. They also admitted that 30 to 40% of their priests are Gay which means 50% yet they preach against homosexuality. They will never recover from the damage caused to the Catholic Church.

• JOHN

The impact is literally staggering. As a translator for the Catholic Church in 04 and 05 I know the money was going out so fast the church ended up selling properties they had for centuries! And the squeeze of the parishioners was fierce

Source(s): Vatican, Rockford Diocese
  • Angelz

It is a horrible thing. On tv they actually said "This month's Catholic Church Scandal" like it's going to be a monthly thing. I know a lot of Catholics who are good people but if they keep coming up with more and more priest molestings.........???????????

• Sheryl

Not nearly enough impact. How can you not adopt a zero tolerance policy for child molestation?

I'm still scratching my head about that decision.

• akband

A priest is a role model for the other follower's. They will surely go to hell even if you believe it or not

I think it is hideous.I can not bear the thought of it.