What rights does my wife have if we get a divorce?

I married a woman with a 4-year-old child. Now he is 9 years old. I have not adopted him but I have provided everything for my wife and her child for past 5.5 years including buying a house and a car for her birthday last year. She claims that she can take half of everything as well as child support but I am not even his biological father. Is this true?

By the way, everything is under my name. She has had issues with her finances before we met, and her credit history is a mess. Additionally she also has had legal issues related to identity fraud (fraud was related to her mother).

Wow. I pay for everything ... she doesn't even see the bills or even aware of how much things cost. My income is 8-10 times her annual earnings. She doesn't want a divorce but I've been unhappy (not because of affairs or another woman, I have no desire!) and trying to figure out whether I've underestimated the burden of taking care of a mother and her child. I will support the child no matter what but I feel as though I have lost the sense of my life in the process if that makes sense ...

Favorite Answer

If you live in a community property state then yes she can get half of everything.. Like you said you bought the house and car FOR HER..

I bet if we asked her she would say you have told her it's ALL yours cus you paid for it.. These are all tactics that come in divorce, ALWAYS, mainly out of anger.

Don't forget there is a little boy in between all of this, whether he is from your loins or not you took on the father role when you said "I do"! It does not mean you have to pay support, but it also does mean that you don't get visitation unless she allows it.

Guess who will suffer? The child who sees you as his dad! Divorce is way to easy these days, people need to shut up and listen to each other and try harder to work things out.

Also you have absolutely NO right to kick her out, it is also her home and the boys home. Someone on here telling you to kick her out is full of it and obviously hasn't a clue.

If you cannot decide together on who gets what, a judge will make you sell everything and divide the money AFTER you pay all creditors.

And I hate to break this to you, but her bad credit effects YOUR credit as well.. Divorce alone will effect your credit rating! Stop blaming each other, you have only been married for 5 years man, try to work it out..

I have married for 23 years and we have been through A LOT and still going through it.. It never ends, you have to learn to cope and also learn when to let some things go.

• ayoub

My Rights In A Divorce

• Jennie

Sometimes couples can recover from an affair, but both parties have to want to work very hard on the relationship. In your case, divorce was the only choice if you wanted to keep your dignity and avoid a lifetime of pain. She was not even remorseful, didn't want to work on the marriage, and discounted your pain by making the callous comment,"it's been 4 months!" as if you should have been over her betrayal already. Don't regret divorcing her! Considering all of the above, all she wanted was a free pass, and then she would have been unfaithful again...and again...and again. Even your kids saw the writing on the wall. It may be hard now, but you are better off with at least the hope of a happier life with a better woman. But 19 years is a long standing marriage. Give yourself the time to find yourself. No rush. Good luck!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I married a woman with a 4-year-old child. Now he is 9 years old. I have not adopted him but I have provided everything for my wife and her child for past 5.5 years including buying a house and a car for her birthday last year. She claims that she can take half of everything as well as child...

Source(s): rights wife divorce: https://biturl.im/Zbl4S

Haha, words from my fiance. He says "Just don't sign the divorce papers and then boot the wench out!" He seems to think that since you are refusing a divorce, she can't sue for those things if she chooses to take up a seperate residency. Also, you can just F her over because she won't be able to find a new daddy for her son and get remarried. Does she even know who the father is?! Do remember to clear or cancel all joint bank accounts and other things with her name on it. Sell the house. Liquidate everything into cash and take off if you want to.

Depending on the state you live in, she can definitely take half your stuff and very likely spousal support (alimony) as well. Child support is less likely, but if your income is 8-10 times her, you can count on losing quite a bit of it and probably paying her attorney to take it from you.

Ask yourself if you can't salvage something from this relationship. If you can't, contact an attorney immediately to protect your assets.

A GOOD attorney.

I think you are screwed.

Yes she can get you for child support, even if the other dad is also providing it. since you have been the primary support for more than half of the child's life you may be on the hook. Be glad you didn't adopt the child or you definitely have to pay.

I assume no pre-nup...So she will get half of whatever was accumulated during the marriage. Oh and spousal support -she may hit you up for that too.

May the force be with you,

• In California, she is entitled to half of the combined earnings during the marriage. So that would mean half of the equity in the house and the car, etc. and any money earned during the marriage.

I am assuming that you do not have a financial responsibility to the child.

Other states and countries have different laws

no it is not true. if you have not adopted the child then his natural father is still responsible for him not you. on the other hand she is in titled to 1/2 of everything you bought during the marriage. she may also be able to get maintains out of you if she has never worked or makes less money then you. the maintenance depends on the laws where you reside. sounds as if she wants it all.

well you have to split half of every thing down the middle she pays half of the bills you pay the other half then you two have to decide who get what in the marriage and as far as the child your not the father that her problem not your you wont have to pay child support.