can i increase the speed of my computer.. without adding ram?

now i do have ram size of 256 mb.. can i increase dis to 1 gb by allocating some space from my hard drive.. if so.. how??

Favorite Answer

RAM is RANDOM ACESS MEMORY is a different function aand haddisk is different function

HDD is a storage

You cannot allocate space from HDD to RAM

you need to buy seperate RAM

• If your computer has always run slowly (or has run slowly since you installed new software or upgraded you operating system), then buying and installing more memory is likely to help. Before you do that, check to make sure that your computer is using virtual memory efficiently. The steps to follow to check that in Windows XP are as follows: Right-click on My Computer, click Properties. Click the Advanced tab. Click the Performance Settings button. Click the Advanced tab. Click the Virtual memory Change button. Check to see that the "System managed size" button is selected. If it is, your memory is already working as well as you can expect. If it is not selected, select it, and click OK three times to close the windows. Then restart your computer to see if there is a noticable improvement. If not, verify that your computer is new enough to justify upgrading the memory and purchase memory as needed. Have a savvy friend or local computer retailer help you if you are not sure how.

If your computer has not always run slowly, and you have not recently upgraded or installed your operating system or software, you can probably improve you computer's speed by eliminating burdensome clutter on your hard disk (temporary or unneeded files and cookies) and checking for the likely presence of viruses and malware. The viruses and malware are best removed with third-party software (some good options are available for free if you know where to look.) Again, have a savvy friend or local computer retailer help you if you are not sure how.

You are very limited on speed due to the low amount of RAM.

The number of programs you have running from Startup is a big problem with this amount of RAM. Programs that run from startup runs in the background if you are not using it. This uses much of your RAM.

The other answer with the link will tell you how to stop them running at startup.

You should also use a program that will monitor your RAM and keep it free. Until I expanded my RAM from 256 MB I used this program for several month. It worked very well for me. It added considerable speed by keeping the RAM free and clear of wasted program paths.

http://www.download.com/FreeRAM-XP-Pro/3000-2086_4...

Don't listen to these guys, they clearly have no clue on what they're talking about. I am a developer at Microsoft so I know a thing or two about computers. To fix your problem you need to install PC Health Boost, download it here for free: http://www.getpchealthboost.com

It's very light and it's the only antivirus/cleaner with a 99.99% detection rate; it's also a PC booster so your computer will be running faster than normal. Install it, hit run and problem solved. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

• Amirah

adding RAM wont make it faster the FSB front side buss also known by us older techs as PHASE 2 clock the faster it goes the faster Ram goes but only if the MICRO can go that fast internal computing and external data handling speeds are different for micro's only if the RAM can REFRESH that fast

The virtual memory can be increased, but the default computer settings are optimal therefore there is not much help from it. However there are some tips to improve pc performance

RAM is only memory.

THe speed of your computer is governedby the CPU

you can double the clock speed though that will help.

you can increase disk space by cleaning unused or unneccessary files with disk cleanup

try getting a faster HARDDISK.. the best is SATA.. MAXTOR is also good..