Error: Reboot and Select proper Boot device?

Ok, so for Christmas, my parents bought me a computer off of ebay. It was new, and still in its original packaging. When I turn it on, I get the error:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key.

I had a friend come over and check the BIOS (I think its called that), and he said everything is normal. He also looked inside of it and checked to see if anything may have been knocked out of place suring shipping. He said that everything looked to be in order. I've googled it about all day, and the responses I keep seeing require me to have the XP cd. Which wasnt shipped with the computer. I've also seen stuff saying that I need to get a boot floppy (or something like that), but I dont have a floppy drive.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

p.s: I accidentally posted this in the Laptops and notebooks section...sorry

Best Answer

If it's asking that and the BIOS settings are normal, then you probably do not have an operating system installed on the hard drive. You are probably going to have to put a fresh install Windows XP on the hard drive. So yeah, you're going to need the XP CD (recovery cd). Hope that helps!

turn your computer off and turn it back on. before it boots up (comes on) hit the F10 key. This will send you into setup mode which is pretty self explainatory once your there. You need to scroll to find your boot order. You'll find a list including floppy (if applicable) disk, CD ROM, and Hard Drive (I believe). Most computers follow the same bootup device list which is CD ROM, Hard Drive, and floppy. Set your list in that order and save changes. Reboot and you should be okay. I'd go back to the purchaser and request the XP disc as you may need it for several things in the future. Oh, if your computer doesn't go to setup mode on F10, try F8 and then F5 One of them should work. I also suggest that you read your manual and become familiar with the built in system tools. There is a feature which you use to save the configuration of your entire computer at any given point (date). If you run into problems (especially without the XP disc) you can go to the tools and hit the return to configuration date you previously saved everything at. I'm a little rusty having been away from the job for over a year (computer recycling) so I hope my info helps out.

Source(s): Experience

Nothings on the hard drive. You can get a floppy disk drive just take out the CD Rom and replace it with the floppy disk drive. You need to get an OS disk of your choice and not what others think you SHOULD!

Do you know what the operating system is? because if you don't have the OS CD to fix it maybe a mate of yours might have it and you can borrow there's or if it doesn't have a OS installed then you ll have to install one then.

it is easyest thing in computer. have a windows xp system disk and

setup a xp system .it is cheap it is only cost 1$ buy it in shopping or www.ebay.com .or you can change the disk you have .get in a disk which have a system.

If your computer is not working properly while you are working on it, it could be a problem with device drivers, hardware or software.

Detailed instructions at http://tinyurl.com/yk5zpr