Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

Why do people think Muslim women dislike wearing a burka (In other words Mandeel, Hijab, ect.)?

As a Muslim it pains me to see people saying that most or (all) Muslim women have no rights (See my other question for more information http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ao3i.... )

But what disgusts me most of all is that when ever someone brings up this topic they mention that women are forced to wear they're burka (Mandeel, Hijab, ect.).

Is it not true, that the Quaran states that a Mandeel (ect.) is to be worn so the man will not fall for the woman's body, hair, beauty, but the woman herself.

Saudia Rabia is a Holy place for Muslims, which is why the laws seem unfair and unjust to most and reasonable to others.

But in many other places woman have a choice whether they want to wear they're Burka (Mandeel, hijab, ect.) or not.

For example, I live in Kuwait. I have seen many woman walking on the side walks, or shopping -so on so forth- without wearing a Hijab (Ect.). (Continued)

(Continued part) The women I know that choose to wear a Hijab (Mandeel, Burka, ect.) are proud of it.

In a Non- Muslims' view, I realize it must seem weird or uncivilized to wear such dressings -- But it's not to Muslims.

Favorite Answer

People often demonize what it is they do not know. Alot of non-muslims don't know much about the teachings of the Quran. They listen to the talking heads on the news, they watch television, and they create stereotypes.

As an African American I can see the danger in this. That is why I try to understand something before I denounce it. I am not a muslim. However, I respect everyones religous rights.

Alot of Europeans and American claim to be tolerante. I think it is pretty evident by the latest bans on hijab in Europe, and the level of Muslim discrimination in Europe in America that we are not as tolerante as we claim to be.

Its like Muslim is the new black. It is openly exceptable to discriminate, and people don't even see the inhumanity in their actions, or they hypocrisy especially coming from the U.S. the land of religous freedom.

• Bryan

It is a product of different ideologies. Western women view being forced to wear anything as an insult against them. It is natural to project this view onto others because we all have this tendency to believe that if something is wrong in our mindset that others must agree. In general Muslim culture has not treated women as equal citizens to men. Perhaps western women do not understand the cultural differences at work, but you must also understand that they believe that they are helping Muslim women by speaking out. So while they may not understand the Middle Eastern mindset, it can also be said that you do not understand the Western mindset. Answer me this though. If so many Muslim women proudly wear the Burka when it is not forced, why do so many Muslim women abandon the custom when they immigrate into Western society?

The point is about choice. If *some* women prefer to wear religious garb, they can. But when it becomes the law (meanwhile Muslim/Arab men can and do wear Western clothing without question) it's unjust, because women are prevented, again, to choose their own style and individuality.

Secondly, in the West, to blame women for the failure of men to control their sexual urges is excuse making for bad behavior. Western women can be free to wear skimpy clothing, as men are expected to behave like gentlemen. If they cross the line, they do so, not because the woman wears perhaps a thong bikini and just plain sexy, it's because they violated her individual space and body. The West doesn't blame the victim for her clothing, it blames the boundaries crosser, instead. This is how the Western world can "have their cake and eat it too" without the outdated and unjust view that some male has to "protect" women, or the need to live by 1000 year-old religious dogma. Women in the West will either let the law handle violators, or in the USA, they can whip out a .45 and make a rapist Swiss cheese. Western women will expect law enforcement to do their job, or in life and death situations, take the responsibility for their protection for themselves.

If *some* women wish to live in 1000 AD under 1000 AD laws and requirements that is their choice. But it's also a choice of a person to want to live in the 21st century. Until the Middle East truly answers the basic human rights of all of it's citizens, be it children, women and even men, the rest of the world will question and judge their region based on their freedom to do so. Countries that foster free choice and will, are ***allowed*** to question politics, politicians, society, culture and even religion and their clergy. We do so because that is a right of our citizens to question the status quo, authority and even faith itself, be it at home, on the street or as we pay attention to world affairs.

So think of it this way, as you ask the rest of the world why we have our viewpoints: if we appear intolerant to the Middle East human rights record, how do you feel about human rights of not having the choice of being able to ask the questions you're asking in the first place (because some male relative said not to do so)?

People dislike a woman to wear a hijab because they say it does not show her femininity. They were taught to believe that it is all based on 'husbands' or 'fathers' who force their women to cover. I and so many Muslims like me are proud and will say it to the world that we cover. The world has to know that we are proud and free and not forced and oppressed.

Sorry. Saying a woman has to cover herself because it might cause a man to go astray is not only incorrect logic it's a means of controlling another human being.

I accept that there are women who desire this because it's easier to have someone control you than to have to make decisions on your own and accept the consequences.

If you enjoy being a doormat, that's fine with me.

I dont actually think they do hate it. I've seen some girls that actually look very attractive with it. I would have to guess they were hot to start with. Man dont ask me about this I really have no idea.

Muslim men are weak. A true man can keep his hands off and his mind under control.

For myself, I could care less if you all went naked or wearing chainmail. Each religion and culture has what it feels is acceptable, so long as they do not try and force me to their ways, all is well with me.

ya know- i have never concerned myself with other women's customs. Attaching the first part of the question? huh? I don't assume anything. why do you care what other people think?

what bull it is illegal in saudi arabia and iran and afghanistan

and in most othe rplaces in the uncilised muslism world you will be assulted if you dont